Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluefish and Mac flies
Anyone know of some good Spanish Mac and Bluefish flys? I have some [size 1]Deceivers[/size] and Clousers etc.....Anyone know of any other flies I should be taking to Murrells Inlet in SC
[signature]
poppers work well here in the northeast,when you find a bluefish blitz a bare hook works
[signature]
Thanks Tom...I do have some poppers..hopefully I will see alot of Blues
[signature]
Well, don't get your hopes up about seeing alot of blues. The big blues are the thickest during early and mid spring, when it's a little cooler. They form in tight schools along the inshore reefs and snap at anything that goes by. This time of year and on, the best you can hope to see is a blue getting jigged up on a pier with a sabiki rig, or the occasional one caught inshore on a gotcha plug or spoon.

You're best bet will be the spanish, which will be hanging around the duration of the summer months. I don't know the names of the flies, but what ever is around 2.5" long or so, and has lots of flash will work well. It needs to sink as most spanish are caught sub-surface. Even when i've motored up to schools of spanish rocketing out of the water on top, most of my hits are still a few feet down under the top. The ideal approach would be to tie a #00 clark spoon to the other end of your fly rod. I'm sure that the masses will all agree that a clark spoon is about as good as it gets for spanish.

If I were you, i'd rent a boat from Capt Dicks and head out to the one mile bouy. I bet if you cast along that bouy long enough, you start slamming the spanish. Just make sure you keep an eye on the marine forecast. You don't want to get stuck riding through the mouth of the jetties in a small boat and high swells. [crazy]
[signature]
Bigger flies should work good if you have them.

Lead laden Streamers, Clousers, Zonkers and Mangos should do the trick. Since the Blues and Macks do like a little flash too, you cold tie some of your own and add a little bit of Silver Mylar and Flashabou in the flies.[cool]
[signature]
Hey Steve, thanks for jumping in on this one. I wasn't sure what to reccomend to him, so the best I could do is break down a description. [cool]
[signature]