Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turned my first.
i finally got my shed cleaned up and set up my grandfathers hobby wood lathe.i used a lure that i picked up at the R.I.saltwater show as a templet.this is really my second one,the first broke on the lathe.the lathe isnt close to what everyone else uses,it a 1950 benchtop.now i have to paint it and put the hardware on
[signature]
Way to go Tomc. That's a fine looking Oak popper. Just think, you can experiment with different types of wood too.[cool]
[signature]
God bless a man who can use his hands to acomplish such a task. Also may the tree huggers never see how much wood is needed for that man to make a 3" plug.[sly]

Great work Tom, I wish I had that kind of skill, they wouldn't let me use the lathe in wood shop after my first try. Some how I pressed too hard and the chisel wound up stuck in the floor.[unsure]
[signature]
lol,thats funny,but i can see how that would happen.this is my first try at something like this,i never had wood shop,i went to a technical school,and grew up on a farm,and now a heavy equipment operator.i picked up some pointers from a guy that does this as a hobby and sells them on ebay.
i have always been interested in doing this,for many years,my uncle used to make lures by hand carving.i tried that,no way,when i was done i didnt have to paint it,it was already red[Tongue]..

the wood that i used was basswood,that i got from new hampshire.in the pic it looks like oak.i am going to try oak and hickory to see if it work well.
if things work out well i plan to upgrade the lathe,to a newer version[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice start. Now you have a new hobby to keep you off the streets and out of trouble...until you go fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
that a nice set up, vary respectable.

add a combo belt & disk sander to your bench and you will be making rappallas too...[Wink]

a small slot and a small spoon and epoxy makes a fine lip...
[signature]