Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dedicated Hunter Questions
With the dedicated hunter permit you can only hunt in the area specified on your tag, right? So statewide archery does not apply correct? I can only hunt in that one area for all three seasons? I also cannot put in for any limited entry or CWMU deer hunts either right?
[signature]
With any archery tag, you can hunt statewide. There are no specific rules for the DH program with that, you just have to stick to the area during the other hunts. The other question is a little tougher....
[signature]
On the statewide archery question, you can hunt statewide during the archery hunt. You just have to hunt the area of your tag during the general rifle and muzzleloader portions.

On the limited entry and cwmu you can apply for these hunts. Then if you draw you give up your dedicated hunter tag. Can't hunt all 3 seasons, as you will only be hunting the limited entry hunt. However this hunt will count as part of your harvest allotment of two deer during three years.
[signature]
I have thought the same thing but after reading the DH rule, things seem a little unclear. It says boldly that hunters must hunt in the area specified on the permit

R657-38-2. Definitions.
(1) Terms used in this rule are defined in Section 23-13-2.
(2) In addition:
(a) "Dedicated Hunter Permit" means a general buck deer permit issued to a dedicated hunter participant in the Dedicated Hunter Program, which authorizes the participant to hunt general archery, general any weapon and general muzzleloader in the region specified on the permit.
(b) "Hunt area" means an area prescribed by the Wildlife Board where general archery, general any weapon or general muzzleloader deer hunting is open to permit holders for taking deer. Here is what is says about putting in for the big game drawing
R657-38-10. Obtaining Other Permits.
(1)(a) Participants may not apply for or obtain general buck deer permits issued by the division through the big game drawing, license agents, over-the-counter sales, or the Internet during the three-year period of enrollment in the program

Maybe I need to make a call down to the DWR office.
[signature]
I drew a limited entry tag one of the years I was enrolled and I just had to give back my dedicated hunter tag. Maybe that has changed but on that part i read the proclamation as general buck deer permits, not limited entry or cwmu.

On the statewide archery part that is confusing but I always hunt the same area anyways so a call would probably clear that up. Let us know what they say.
[signature]