Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUMMER MUSKY?
JUST WONDERING WHAT DEPTHS DO THE MUSKY GO TO WHEN THE WATER GETS HOT? DO THEY GO DEEP AND FEED IN LOW LIGHT PERIODS? OR JUST DEAL WITH THE HEAT? 1 MOORE HOW DEEP DO THEY GO AFTER ICE UP? THIS WINTER IM GOING ON A ICE HUNT FOR THE TOOTHY ONES. WILL BE A FIRST FOR ME. THANX CROSSINEYES
[signature]
While fishing for Tigers I have never once caught one running a lure deeper than 15ft no matter what time of year it was. I have caught them out in open water 50-60 ft deep but they were caught in the top of 15 ft of water. Ive put my time in experimenting with trolling 20 to 30ft deep at Pineview and never ever got a hit. Even in the hottest part of summer I never fish deeper than 15ft...

As for ice fishing for them I dont think anybody out here in Utah has really figured that one out. I tried it once but ice fishing is just not for me. I know up North they fish for pike and musky with live fish on tip-ups or with a decoy and spear. Both are illegal here....
[signature]
I THINK I MAY HAVE THE ICE THING FIGURED OUT. AFTER WATCHING A TON OF VIDEOS ON IT. TIP UPS BUT NO LIVE BAIT. THANX FOR YOUR INPUT. GUESS I WONT TROLL DEEP. THANX KEN
[signature]
I thought i had it figured out last season, but i was put in my place when the ice melted and i had not landed 1 through the ice. I had many fish on and alot of hits but never a hot stick. Maybe this season...
[signature]
Really depends on the body of water. I've lost 2 fish that we talk about being phantoms from a 30' hole no bigger than the avaerage 2-car garage where they'll lay right on the bottom...I ran into it @ 10yrs. ago while searching new places to jig up slob Walleyes on the Chippewa Flowage...
[signature]
I rarely troll deeper than 12' myself and only in the middle of the day to give the arm a rest. You need to be in the cabbage, weedlines or rock piles the majority of the time. I have brought up way more skies casting than trolling, but of course maybe I'm not doing it right.
[signature]
A few years back (in August) I was bass fishing with my uncle at Pinewview... throwing jigs to the shoreline and hopping them back. I noticed a very large mark on the finder in 40' of water. I picked up another rod I had set up with a large tube and heavy head. Dropped it down on the mark and wham! 40" muskie in the boat.

So I don't know if that proves anything other than sometimes they may go deeper, but that's my experience.

I would think that you will normally find the muskies whereever their forage is. [Smile]
[signature]