Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue gills ?
I brought my Fly rigs out the other night and decided it was time for some new "stuff"

Lets forget Sage and the BS .. what rods/weight along with reel and line should I be looking at?... best bang for your buck?
[signature]
7 hits and no answers? [unsure]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I would think that for blue gill, you could fish with about anything that you can get your hands on. Rod and reel could be as cheap as possible. reel drag is no problem, long casts are not necessary, a few dollars would provide you with all the tackle required.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Get some small top water "poppers", and a few flies like woolley buggers and nymphs (various colors), and you should be well armed.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]You would need a floating line, and maybe a intermediate line for sub-surface work.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Let us know how it works out, and of course, some pictures of your success.[/size]
[signature]
[size 1]7 hits and no answers? [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]---------------[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[blue]You can get instant gratification at the candy store. Not here.[/blue]
[signature]
Like said. Anything should work for blue gill. But if you are going to do bass also and fish windy days you will want a 5,6, or 7 weight. Most are "midflex" (also called medium action) rods. Something very helpful for beginners and for tossing bigger poppers and streamers for bass and many experienced fly fishers like them anyways.

Now adays you can find some really decent beginner setups with line, reel, and rod for about $150. A number of companies have them.

Knowing more about the specifics of your intent, experience level, and your 'fly rigs' would be helpful in trying to help you.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Just a thought birddogwi - as the old saying goes one attracts more flies with honey than vinegar. [Wink] That said likewise I would opt for a 8½ or 9', 6 wt midflex rod and matching reel loaded with a wt forward floating line. This setup would cover the bases for most species.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
It did/does for me... [cool]
[signature]
Check this combo out by Cabela's. Pick what species you want and the rest is already set up for you including flies. Good set-up too med/fast action. Know several who have bought these and love them.
[url "http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0017452316491a.shtml"]http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0...491a.shtml[/url]
[signature]
...I knew that our fly goddess would nail it so to speak.. just checked that link and it looks to me to be a great deal...especially with all the extra goodies....I spent more than that and only got the rod... [unsure]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Wow.. thanks for the responses guys (*clears throat* .. and of course goddesses [Wink] ) Pardon me if you took my second response the wrong way.. I was jsut surprised to see the 7 hits w/o responses from knowing the BFT faithfuls... Again, pardon me If I seemed pretentious or just plain old rude - didn't mean it that way.

ok anywho ... I guess to explain my situation a bit better I should get to the beef of the matter. First off I'm by no means a flyfisherman by really any standard.. and to be strictly honest I'm really not looking to be - but - I do enjoy using a flyrod on gils. The rods I have I couldn't even tell you what models and weights they are because they've been around the block a few times with 2 of the three 'usable' rigs being given to me from my grandfather a number of years back. The older graphite rod I have has such a small handle its uncomfortable to hold and the two I recieved from my grandfather a number of years ago (1ea glass/graphite) are either heavy or the same handle size situation.. they're just not comfortable to use for very long. After picking up some of the newer models lately there is a whole new world waiting for me in the comfort department [Wink]

As for my experience level and casting abilities - I'd say beginner/novice tops, but as the day wears on, my timing gets a bit better and flys finally start snapping off at a slower rate [Tongue] so things get a little more... should I say .. "manageable".

The reason I'm looking at a "best bang for your buck" set-up is that I only intend on using it for a few weeks a year while the fish are bedding. Other than that it'll be sitting in the basement with a rod sock on it while I'm chasing other fins with the baitcasting, spinning and trolling rigs.

flygoddess - thanks for the specific suggestion.. It just so happens I'm going to be down around the Cabela's Prairie du Chien store this weekend so I'll make sure to check out that combo.

thanks again folks! .. anyother insight is welcome - please share!
[signature]
I'll be sure to post up some pictures when I get out there with the new rig. Thanks Saberfish.
[signature]
Oh ...one other question here to add.

Will the line color matter much?
[signature]
[black][size 3]Line color should make no difference. Your baits will be tied to leader material, and the fish do not see the line.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]About your "snapping" off flies, I would suggest taking your fly tackle out on the lawn, and watching the action of your line as you cast. Let your line straighten out behind you before you start your forward cast. Usually the problem most people have is trying to start their forward cast too soon. (slow down!!)[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Just remember: 10 o'clock - 2 o'clock, 10 o'clock - 2 o'clock, watch your line, and see what it does. the longer the line you are casting, the more effort you exert on the cast, and the more time it takes for the line to complete the cast (both in front and behind you).[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]That's your $2.00 casting lesson for today. Let me know how it works out.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
The reason I didn't answer was because I don't target Bluegill and I know a lot of others here do and do quite often. I do know that this Cabela set up answers all the questions.
I would kinda like to hear that you have been converted to flies only. I know I was. Find it a challenge now to find just the right fly for a species and that makes it even more fun.
I use to fish the bait up in Idaho with my Nephew, but a few years ago I was determind to throw flies and I don't keep that many fish anyway so I did. To make a long story short, My nephew now fly fishes.
Good luck, Tight lines and lets us know what you are doing!
[signature]
I must second the Goddess's last response here..

...like you I would consider myself a novice/beginner at best... I have a lot to learn and am willing to do so (right guys???)...

I used to fish baits and lures and such.. but found it to be kind of boring.. especially with the baits.. toss it out.. wait.. reel in.. toss it out.. etc...

.. with the fly fishing I have to be more involved in what is going on.. what does the water look like.. what is the general hatch going on.. what flying pests look to be active.. then.. if I do see and make a choice.. I have to select a fly by its color.. size.. shape.. what it immitates.. dry.. wet.. nymph.. streamer.. terrestial.. and once that is done.. cast.. watch the fly and reactions on the water.. if any.. pull the line in.. slow.. fast.. jerky.. etc.. then start all over.. always.. and especially in my case.. ALWAYS.. offering up prayers and sacrifices to the fishing gods that a fish will favor my fly.. its presentation etc.. and take it so I can say I did not get skunked..

.. bottom line.. I find fly fishing more challenging and stimulating.. physically and mentally.. and I have just barely begun...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey birddogwi thanks for the clarification. That's cool. Good luck on finding the system that suits you.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Thanks Saberfish.. I'll keep this in mind here.. Yea, I'll be using my 7-1/2' tappered 4lb leaders that I already have but was wondering if folks have experienced anything color related towards spooking fish with the main line.. just 'one of those' random questions that popped into my head and thought to ask since I'm a firm believer in using either green mono or fluoro leaders when using PowerPro, Fireline and lead-core... just wondering if there was any relation [Wink]

won't be a problem going into the back yard and practicing since I already have a baitcaster sitting by the backdoor of the garage with a hookless 6" plug strapped on.. one of the relaxation techniques I use after work is to cast around the to the base of the trees and bushes I have on the perimeter of my yard [cool] .. I actually do this for a few minutes with the flyrod before going out but use the driveway so I can see how the line lays down at the end of the cast a little better. I can assure you I'll take your advice and give it more time - watch my line a bit more and be a bit more disciplined with it. I appreciate it!
[signature]
Hey birddogwi, I use a 5w 8'6" rod and if I were to replace it I would get a 9'. I would love to do gills w/ a 3 wt but beings I am in an area where a bass will hit a fly at any time I would want to tear up a specialty rod. I have sink tip line cause I like using nymps but when I do any surface flies I just add on to my leader a little so the tip doen't pull it down right away. With floatant on the fly it stays up long enough for them to take a good look at it and a sumbmerged bug is easy pickins for them.

You can use a floating line and add on a sink tip if you plan to fish the surface the most. Poppers are fun but I wonder if the big ones like the buggy looking flies better.
[signature]
Hey no problem FG .. nothing to worry about here about the response as you can see I'm all about information and how it relates.

I had to chuckle though .. converting me over to flys only would be like a Jewish Rabi trying to convert the Pope over to Judism [laugh][laugh][Wink]

...thats why I posted here.. the enthusiasm for the sport by the faithful is awesome! [cool]
[signature]
Can't blame a girl for trying[angelic] I walked the river up the street from my house today with a friend. I showed him my favorite spot. I rigged up a chironomid dropper under an indicator about 3 or 4'. Had my line hanging over the small cliff in the water under a tree. While i was wiggling the tip trying to feed more line out for a roll cast, I noticed the indicator go down. Thought I had snagged the weeds, but NOOOO! Caught a nice little Crappie without even trying.
I will admit, a bubble and a worm would be a sensible answer for this river due to how hard it is to get to with a fly outfit, plus basically slow moving water with a bed of large weeds, grass and moss (not something you want to be dragging a nymph through) There is an open spot that has been dredged and the Carp were flying. We didn't stay long enough to try but I can see a spinning outfit working well. I just can't get the hang of that BAIL and flinging a bubble. He, he, he. Plus my flies don't make a mess under my nails[cool]

So, I go with the old, "If I can't catch it on a fly, it isn't ment to be". Plus it keeps me trying. LOL
[signature]