Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't over do it
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Have you ever seen some fly people false cast so much they could have painted the Sistine chapel. Well here is a clip from F/S re this subject:[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]
[font "Arial"][#800000]False casts ruin fishing.[/#800000][/font]
[#800000]I was able to slide right into a run without spooking trout. They weren’t bothered by a big bubble-blowing blob, so long as I moved slowly. But as soon as photographer Tim Romano moved the boom-operated underwater camera overhead, even ever so subtly, the fish scattered in panic. At one point, a shadow passed above and I saw fish slink away toward the rocks. When I surfaced to ask what had happened, they told me a blue heron had flown over the run. More significantly, I watched from below as my friend Bruce Mardick made several false casts over the fish. As he whipped the line back and forth, the fish went ballistic and hid against the bank. After allowing them to recover, he started limiting false casts, even’ using roll casts, and the trout seemed undisturbed. The point: You get one, maybe two, false casts before the fish are onto you. Try to direct these at an angle behind the fish; only your final cast should target the run.[/#800000]
[#800000][/#800000]
[#800000][/#800000][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Ahhhhh! The joys of the Whip cast. It is one single cast with all the line pre stripped and a nice heavy Clouser tied on.

No false casting. Just business![cool]
[signature]