Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Casting Bass Flys
I'm a newbie here, just joined because you have a great float tube and pontoon board here. I'm curious of the best set ups for casting big bass flies, line, leader, etc. and what are your favorite.

I'm in Poconos Pa.

Thanks
[signature]
[cool][b][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there Henry David and welcome to the Fly Fishing board. Can't answer your question as I have never tied on a bass fly although I have a few in hanging around. Would imagine that to cast big bass flies one is going to need a minimum of a 6wt rod. I don’t think that big is the only way to go as far as the fly is concerned. Anything that will make a little commotion is sure to draw their attention. A[/size][/green][/font][/b][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green] double-tapered line would probably be the way to go since there is no need to cast long distances. My only rod with a DT line is a 3wt. which I wouldn’t want to use for bass. I mention this as I don’t want to invest another $60 in a DT for my 6wt just for bass. BTW there are some experienced folks that hang around here that should be able to field your question quite well. I’m sure that they will be dropping by shortly. Thanks for your post and do drop in again.
[/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
Henry, I am going to say a 6wt for Bass. It can definitly cast the big flies, but it can battle the vegitation that is associated with BASS. A 9' with a medium to medium / fast action.

All the main Fly Line manufacturers have Bass lines out with the taper for casting big bass flies also, or I would say a floating line with as DryRod mentioned a Double Taper.
[signature]
Thanks for the welcome dryrod.

Yes I guess I need heavier line, now I'll have to carry two fly rods with me, one for poppers for gills and bass, and another heavier outfit for throwing bigger bass flys. I was out pontoon fly fishing today, caught a ton of nice panfish and 6 small bass, all on poppers. I tied on a larger fly, called a "swimming frog" shorted the leader, but I had a heck of time throwing it, must take practice as well.
[signature]
It does take a lot of practice. Just slow down big time with the bigger bugs.
Catching the fish a 5wt will work, I was using my Far and Fine on Bass and BIG Blues, but I was casting a nymph. For the bigger flies I switched to my T3 tip flex 6wt. That thing is a cannon.
[signature]
You may have better luck with the Whip cast. I find that a lot better on casting the heavier Clousers, Saltwater Streamers and some of the bigger Shrimp flies that I use for Bass and Saltwater species of fish.

Carefully strip out lots of line and carefully lay it out in your stripping apron. Let the mouse hang down about half the length of the rod and whip it out in a straight line. Be sure not to disturb the line as it uncoils from the area that you pre-stripped.

I designed this cast for heavier firing artillery from a fly rod. It eliminates the need to false cast and when you practice it enough, you will be throwing 100+ foot casts in no time at all.

This cast is more effective than the spay cast for heavier flies.[cool]
[signature]
Right On Tuben2!
[signature]
if this is better than spey.. it would work on stillwater (lakes) where room for a backcast is limited???? if so why have you not come down here and taught me this yet...LOL...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
also...is a stripping basket worth it on stillwater (lake shoreline) fishing>>> I keep getting the fline tangled in my legs etc...

MacFly
[signature]
also does this whip cast work well with lighter flies such as nymphs .... smaller terrestials.. ?? I would think most of the streamers, being heavier, would be gokay to work with???

MacFly
[signature]
[#000000][size 3]"The Whip Cast"???[/size][/#000000]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Now, I'm a polite guy, and rarely call BS on anyone, but I'm having a hard time with this one.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I would like to see a demonstration of this cast.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Many questions, but the first is: What is the weight of the fly that would carry a cast out over 100 feet without a false cast?[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]60 years of fly fishing, and this one is new to me.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Please elaborate, this could be the end of spey casting.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Duh MacFly I was using the stripping basket to hold my clothes. Now you tell me it should be used to hold my fly line. How embarrassing. LOL BTW the stripping basket that comes with the Super Fat Cat is a piece of garbage.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3]One of these days when I feel ambitious I will copy TubeDude's replacement setup.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there Saberfish that what I was thinking. However - knowing that TN2 second profession is that of a magician I don't dare challenge him.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I was thinking more along the line of the stripping basket that goes around the waist (like a fanny pack) for shore fishing (fresh not salt). .. I keep getting the line tangeld around my legs and feet.. I mean.. frustrating.. I get a good cast going.. let her fly.. and it all falls short cause the line is in between my legs.. [mad]... but at the same time I dont want to spend a fortune on this either... I mean my luck with the finance manager can only go so far.. like thru this next weekend before all gets cut off.. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I knew what you were saying Mac. I never use a basket when wading. Seems just as easy to let the line go with the flow. On a tube there are so many protrusions coming from all directions one has to be a little more careful how the line in tended.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
if I was not afraid to wade.. lol.. seriously.. just keep thinking it would be of benefit to me and the longevity of my line(s) if I kept them off the ground and not tangeld in my feet and legs.. lol. plus Id get a better cast.. better cast could lead to better presentation.. and that could lead to getting a fish or two or three..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
My pontoon has a stripping basket, I used to use it, now I spend a lot of time standing up on the toon and the stripping apron gets in the way, I do see the value of it though, thanks for all the advice people, hopefully I'll be out there throwing those big bass flys soon.

Does anybody have any advice on presentation of these flys, or do I just plop em in the pads, and try a little twitching.
[signature]
Macfly, you are right on a stripping basket saving line. I think about it all the time specially with the cleets in my shoes or sharp rocks not to mention some smaller trees or brush the line gets all wrapped around.
I have the stripping belt/basket from one of your favorite Co. (WJ) and I have no idea why I don't use it more often. Push on the basket and it slides right into the belt out of the way. A little deeper basket on it which is no problem while standing, but I have used it on my H3 before I got the aprons. WORKS PRETTY GOOD.
[signature]
...lol.. you are amazing.. I went to sport chalet tonight on the way home from work and they happen to have the very basket of which you speak in stock... I may have to go back and get it now that it is Goddess recommended... :-)..

now if I could only find a reasonably priced tippet holder.. a cost conscious vise.. and a low cost set of pliers... lol. I am such a hopeless case at times...

MacFly
[signature]
The stripping basket is well worth it only for that purpose. The spey cast is still in style for the lighter flies. The Whip Cast is not a replacement. It is just a different style just for the heavier flies.[cool]
[signature]