Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge 6-16 to 6-19 Fishing Report
Hello All,
Headed out to Flaming Gorge in Utah on the 15th with DonInDenver and BearLakeMack. The plan was 2 days fishing on Don's boat and 2 days fishing with Jim Williams (bft username: TarponJim) ([url "http://www.fishflaminggorge.com/"]http://www.fishflaminggorge.com/[/url]).

Left the Springs on the 15th and met Don in Rock Springs about an hour from the Gorge. I had very little experience Mackinaw (Lake Trout) fishing before, and had never fished the Gorge, jigging for the Big Macks, so needless to say I was pretty excited!

I had heard a ton about jig fishing for Mac's, about how tough on the body it can be, how subtle the strikes of these big fish are, and how it is one of the most technical fish techniques, etc... Although the sources for these statements were from people that I know are great fisherman and I respect, I had thought it was a bit exaggerated. IT WASN’T! Jigging for these fish is a battle!!!
[font "Calibri"][size 3] [/size][/font][size 3][font "Calibri"]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7563/cat/600"][Image: flamingorge_003.jpg][/url]
Day 1 the 16TH- Weather was rough and water was definitely wavy. Fishing was slow and good presentation was tough to accomplish with the waves. BearLakeMack was the only one to land a fish that day (16 lb.), although we all swung on a couple and I had meat once but lost it from a way sloppy hook set. [/font][/size]
[font "Calibri"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]Day 2 the 17th- Weather cooperated a bit more but wasn’t perfect by any means. We tried many spots and many lures but ended up with Don landing one over 10 pounds and me and Rich coming up empty handed. Bites were few and far between.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]Day 3 the 17th – First Day fishing with Jim and the weather was a bit tough in the morning with next to no bites but started heating up and flatting out later in the day. Bites were steadier but spaced out in the afternoon. We tried a ton of presentations and jigs and Jim did find the fish that were ready to bite and the bait to go with it but frankly we couldn’t seem to get a good hook set. In retrospect fatigue probably played a factor in the misses.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7573/cat/600"][Image: flamingorge_028.jpg][/url] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7577/cat/600"][Image: flamingorge_038.jpg][/url]
[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]Day 4 the 18th- After a great night sleep and knowing it was our last day to fish we came ready to rock. The weather was cooperating (it was flat early) and Jim found us game fish early. The morning was on fire! I hooked up on the first swing early and in the frenzy Jim dropped in and hooked up, for a double. Mine went 30 lbs. and Jim’s was even bigger! We were on our way! After setting down the video camera and getting back on the rod Rich nailed a nice Mack on his first swing, in the frenzy, I got nailed and Don nailed one on his first swing a minute or so after, a triple!!!! Mine was the first fish to surface and I lost him on the top of the water (was about the 10 lb. range or so) and I think Rich’s was to the boat next and went 32 lb., and Don’s shortly there after, to the boat and a whopping 36 lb’s!!![/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]All fish were caught, photographed and released strong! Jim had to do a little nursing to one fish and did a heck of a job making sure it was in good shape when it swam off![/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]I have to thank Don, and Rich who are great Mack fisherman and really put on a clinic for me!! [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]Jim is a world class guide and despite conditions, fishing pressure, and circumstances can teach you more about jigging for these BIG FISH in a couple of days on the water then years of trial and error on your own.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]I have fished all over the place, using a ton of techniques, for more species then I can probably remember and can say without a doubt that jigging for BIG Mac’s is one of the most challenging experiences an angler can undertake. If you have never done it, it should be a MUST TRY on your list. It may not end up being your favorite (or it may) type of fishing but it definitely will be an experience you’ll never forget! [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"][/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]Check out the trip photo gallery at:[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/600"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/600[/url] [/font][/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
And thanks again to all 3 of you guys. I enjoyed all the comraderie, when they were bitin', and when they weren't. Some trips are very long days, some are just plain fun. Some I'd sooner forget, some I'll never forget. You know where Tuesday stands! We'll be talking about that last morning years from now while jigging away on Blue Mesa. "Remember that time on Flaming Gorge . . . That morning we got 4 over 30, back to back."
[signature]
Nice job guys!!![Wink]
[signature]
Thank you Jim!!! We all had a blast. Rich and Don had told me what a great time fishing with you was and I coudn't agree more!

You have fishing for those great fish down to a science and it was an incredible trip.

I'll be posting the video later this week and will send you a disk with all the photos.
[signature]

TheAngler BFT Moderator
P.S. Rich, Jim and Don, it would be great if you could post your pic's from the trip in the gallery, I would love to check them out!

You can post them at:
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/600"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/600[/url]
[signature]

TheAngler BFT Moderator
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Are you kidding me? With all the camera gear you brought, there wasn't any more room in the boat! LOL! I didn't take any pictures with my stuff. I left my video camera in the truck because you had the channel 2 mega video camera. Nice camera indeed![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]So, Mike, you're having second thoughts about being a mack man? LOL! It is brutal on you both physically and mentally. Why someone subjects themselves to that is beyond reason and those "torture sticks" of Jim's will buckle the strongest of fisherman. By day two you're toast if you don't pace yourself. More Ibuprofen, please![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Ya, Tuesday morning was THE trip to remember. The stars, planets, and moons were aligned and the fish god finally decided to give a little. I can't wait to see the video! A grand slam on the macks, four over 30 lbs but make no mistake, it was extremely tough, tough fishing out there. Tougher than it has a right to be. Don't let a couple pictures make you believe it's a simple task to go out and nail those fish. We put in a lot of long hours for a couple fish each. Did I tell you how much I hate lake trout?[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I had one hit on Saturday, two on Sunday, five on Monday, three on Tuesday and only caught two fish in four days. We looked at a billion different fish all over the southern half of the lake and the reaction was pretty much the same - "GET THAT FRICKIN" JIG OUT OF MY FACE" and flipped us the "tail" as they cleared the jigs. Those fish know the game all too well. It's got to be easier some place else.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]So tell me more about this Blue Mesa place where they catch 50 lb monsters...[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Mike: I posted the best of each shot I had (4) in the gallery. Thanks again.
[signature]
Thanks for putting up those detailed reports, Mike and Rich. You saved me a bunch of typing! It was a great trip!!

If any of you ever get the chance to fish with Mike or Bear Lake Mack or Tarponjim, don't pass it up. They're all world class fishermen and great guys!

I stayed and fished until noon today and just got home a little while ago, so I'll post my pics tomorrow, Mike. Got a 21# this morning. I sent you an email about your cell phone and Ipod chargers.
[signature]
Wow what a great trip you guys had im jealous [unsure] looking at the background of your pics were you in the swim beach area close to the stateline buoys? Do you have a number for your guide I will be staying up there on the beach over the 4th I wouldnt mind going out for 1/2 day to learn some new stuff, I have caught every species in that lake but I can not seem to get over the 8lb hump with the macs. My grandpa always wanted to get into one of those but he passed and never got the chance. I would like to get into just one in my lifetime for him. I ll even share some koke secrets lol i can catch those all day long.
[signature]
I am so jealous. I have tried and tried for big macks at the Gorge with little success.

I guess I'll just need to pony up and pay Jim to take me out and show me the ropes.

Congrats on the successfull trip guys! [cool]
[signature]
Thats exactley what we did. Myself, Old coot and Baitcaster are going out with the "Great One" in a few weeks. looking forward to it.
[signature]
Fished with Jim on the 13th. I hooked two out of 8 bites and my buddy Keith hooked one out of the same # of bites. man the back sure does ache qafter a day of mackin. My two fish went 34 and 20# and keiths was a 24#. This was my third trip with Jim and each time I learn alot more. Now if i can just remember that hookset technique. That darn instinct to pull the pole over my head is costing me fish, and some more instruction from Jim[Wink]. But he works hard to get you into fish and then I go and miss the hookset. You think itwould be elementry by now. Attached is some photos of our fish.
[signature]
Hey John, that doesn't look like the "Blue Cliff Bend" spots we fished![Wink] The fish have gotten even tougher since you were here last week. We only had about 6 hits yesterday, and maybe 10 this morning.
[signature]
Sounds like an exciting, but exhausting trip. Glad you guys could convince a couple of the 30 club to join your little party.
[signature]
Can you believe it?? - the angler's first lake trout ever was 30 lbs!

That is just unreal! Wayta go, Mike!!
[signature]
Way to go. If you're trying to make me envious, you are doing a helluva good job of it.
[signature]
AWSOME you guy's did it and Don thay get a little better every yr next yr Jim better get u on a 40 lol thank's for dinner and the bs time I found my good video so when you come up again I will show you the good video and maybe do some fishing like after ice on hell with this heat come on snow lol dont kill me Jim I know how much you like the snow TAKE IT EASY YOUR MAC SLAYER'S .ash
[signature]
Thanks Ash. It was nice to finally get to meet you. Great videos! Next time I'll stay awake. I was pretty cooked that evening. LOL

Boy your son sure gets excited at the whole fishing thing! Pretty cute.
[signature]
Thanlks for the congrats guys, it was a really great trip!

Ashley, Great to meet you!!! I look forward to seeing you again in the future, thank you for the hospitality, you have some great video and pics!
[signature]

TheAngler BFT Moderator