Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
little help with my double haul
hi folks.. I'm getting a little frustrated with trying to coordinate my hands/arms with what the line is doing on my double haul. specifically my left/line hand (I'm right handed).

I believe my back haul is OK.. well.. it seems to be working anyways.
However, my forward haul isn't working so well and its driving me baty! I've tried reading some things here and there between my backyard practice sessions but something either hasn't clicked mentally or physicaly and or both.

any thoughts, tips or tricks you could share?
[signature]
This is sort of embarassing because I just realised it's a little tough to advise someone on technique/form with out seeing what they might be doing wrong.. Plus and I didn't really explain this too well either with my limited ff vocabulary.

I'm going to try this again here..[blush]

durring my forward casting stroke when should I be starting my haul ..say between the 2 & 10 o'clock positions?

I understand I need to practice, practice, practice but I think I'm looking for some type of conformation as to rod position to work off of and attain...

am I making ANY sense ?
[signature]
Real hard to explain, but you should be pulling the line as soon as you start your forward cast, and shooting it at the 10:00 as you put it.
[signature]
Thanks FG!

I'm guessing it depends on a few things concerning weights and such but *generally speaking * pulling a foot or two of line on the forward haul should be adaquate enough considering my casting stroke is in order.. ??

Thanks again, FG- I appreciate it!
[signature]
Interesting. I have problems with the timing of the haul on the back stroke but do well on the forward stroke.

Lefty Kreh talks about practicing each haul seperately. He speaks of doing this on the lawn. For the forward haul you would cast the line behind you and let it fall to the ground. The you cast forward and do the haul sometime during the speed up portion. After casting let the line fall to the ground. Turn 1080 degrees and practise the forward cast with the haul again. Repeat many times.

The use the same procedure for the back haul but instead start the the line laid out in front of you.

Once you feel comfortable with both huals the you practise with incorporating both in the same cast.

FG says to start the haul as soon as you start your cast. As I remember lefty talks about using it only during the speed up or power part of the stroke. I bet either one will work.

Here is where I got the information from but I have not reviewed it in several years so my memory could have it all screwed up by now:

[url "http://flyfisherman.com/skills/lkdoublehaul/"]http://flyfisherman.com/skills/lkdoublehaul/[/url]
[signature]
Like I said, a hard one to describe, I just do it with out thinking about it. I do know when you do it correctly you can really feel the line shoot.
Go with the Lefty for sure. Playing around in the living room, that definitly makes more sense. I am in the forward cast while I pull.
[signature]
[cool]Hi there birddogwi - how about watching this video demonstrating the single and double haul. They say a video is worth thousands of words.
[signature]
yeah, when you do it right it feels good and the line shoots out there. ..........Now if I can just keep it from getting wrapped around the brush and my boots and stop those pesky coils.

Be consistant.... I know that is important because I am not consistant and it causes grief.
[signature]
Well - breaking it down into practicing just one haul at a time sounds pretty solid. Great link too, scruffy - thanks a bunch!
[signature]
[cool]
Thanks for that video link Dryrod! .. I've been watching that Mark Sosin video thats on here off and on trying to pick up what he's doing.. but this one you posted is a little more clear/specific. Thanks bud!
[signature]
Thanks for the clarification FG! .. I know - its tough to describe something thats second nature [crazy].. a person just doesn't think about it - it just sort-of "happens" over the years.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I agree with all the good information that has been provided above. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]To get a feel for the timing when double hauling, I would suggest that you get your hands on a rod that has a soft action. The softer action will give you a feel of when the rod is "loading". After all, the double haul is only to increase the loading action of the rod.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Most of today's rods are produced with a rather stiff action, and in order to get the loading feel, you have to be false casting most of your line.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I would concentrate more on knowing when your back cast is complete, with the line laid out behind you than learning the double haul.[/size]
[size 3]Most everyone who has problems with their cast (even experienced casters), come into play when they rush their forward cast.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Speaking for myself, if I'm in a hurry to get the fly onto the water, and don't take the time for my backcast to complete I have problems.[/size]
[size 3]It's often easy to forget that the motions involved in fly casting are more artistic than power related.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Right On Saberfish. But then I think full to med flex rods are the way to learn. Really teaches you to do things correctly cause if you screw up with a slow action rod...you are gonna know it!
These new stiff or fast action rods cover a lot of bad habits.
Learn on a slow and you will be able to cast anything.
[signature]
good words saberfish.

My primary rod is a tip flex rod which I can not sense the back cast roll most of the time. Must do it more of a sense of timing.

But then that is the best way to do it anyway. Unfortunately that takes a lot of practice.

when all else fails my immediate back up is: "Apply more power" but it generally does not help.
[signature]
If I told you guys that I took one of my light/slow action 9' Steelhead rods and strapped a fly reel on it... what would you say?? [shocked][angelic]

btw - I didn't want to wait around another couple weeks for the staff from Beulah to get back from Mexico on the 17th so I picked up that Pflueger Medalist Pro combo 8'6" 5wt w/Medalist Pro 1576 reel that I asked about a while back to mess with in the mean time. Went down to $70 - backed & spooled with line and a 7' +/- tapered leader. I'll "surgicaly enhance" the grip down the road if I feel its worth the hassle. I picked up the Orvis LA II & III last week also... just thought I would give an update on a few items I decided to purchase for some reason I guess.

anywho..
[signature]
Men, I would love to find one of those OLD American Made Pflueger reels (the ones that were around $20.) for my Tea Stick. Those things are classics.
[signature]
you have a picture or model # of one FG?
[signature]
Here is a couple I would Love to have.
[inline "Medalist 1930-40s2.jpg"]

[inline "orvis_madison 1969.jpg"]
[signature]
cool! .. I'll keep my eyes peeled around here, FG
[signature]
Kewl![cool]
[signature]