Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye: ? style jigs you folks favor for live bait
Was wondering what style jigs you folks prefer for fishing Eyes with live bait?
[signature]
I wish we could use live bait in UT.[Sad]
[signature]
[shocked] wow! .. how long has this law been around, Brody?

Is this just a "baitfish" law or can't you use leeches, crawlers, etc., .. either?
[signature]
its a bait fish thing here in utah. its been law for a very long time. leaches are hard to come by ive never seen anyone but me try them here. i had to catch some. didnt work out so well so i never did it again. dead minnows do work just not as well as a crawler thats wiglin. the main jig we fish out here for eyes is a twister tail. we swim them along the bottom. some day ill get the chance to fish live bait with eyes some day. lol
[signature]
The only live bait we can use is crawlers, and crawfish. Don't ask me why crawfish and not anything else.
[signature]
Yea, thats a bit goofy but I suppose the DNR has their reasons [crazy]
[signature]
[reply]
its a bait fish thing here in utah. its been law for a very long time. leaches are hard to come by ive never seen anyone but me try them here. i had to catch some. didnt work out so well so i never did it again. dead minnows do work just not as well as a crawler thats wiglin. the main jig we fish out here for eyes is a twister tail. we swim them along the bottom. some day ill get the chance to fish live bait with eyes some day. lol [/reply]

what style of jig head are you using with the grub tails?.. round head, swimmer, minnow head, wobbler, snagless, stand-up, floating, slider, fire-ball, bullet head, rattler, horse head, whistler, max-gap, .... ????
[signature]
I use round heads. Usualy cheaper at the bulk bins, and usualy work just as good as anything else I've tried. Though sometimes, I'll use a floating jig head in a sort of Carolina rig I whip up. All you have to do is adjust your leader size, and your weight hits bottom, and your plastics/crawlers/minnows dangle at just the right depth as you drag it by, right in thier faces...
[signature]