Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hauls
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Here is a video demonstrating the more tradition way to perform a haul. Perhaps less controversial too.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3][/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3][/size][/#008000][/font]
[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNjWnZw4yA4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNjWnZw4yA4[/url]
[signature]
t/y for this video...but.. and not to be controversial... wasnt he forward casting at an angle but adjusted to make sure the line laid straight out in front of him?? also.. thought hauls were seperate in as much as after first haul bring hand back up near rod.. do second haul and let go of the line at the stopping point of the cast (10 -11)?????/

MacFly
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi MacFly55 - when casting I try to keep my arm at a slight angle away from my body versus casting exactly perpendicular to the ground. i.e. My elbow is closer to my body than my forearm amd naturally my hand. I hate to see that fly coming directly at me. Like a wary trout it spooks the he77 out of me.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
oh I agree with you my friend.. was just pointing out the angle of the arm since I thought it was "suppose" to be straight back and forth but in reality I do much the same as you do but was thinking I may of been doing it wrong..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
If you decide to get down and dirty with the 10-2 all your life, then the slight side arm will be the cast of choice to keep your eye balls "Fly Free"

It is not much of an angle and just as well, you will soon develop a style of your own which will suit your particular needs and abilities.

We are all unique and I respect that.[Wink]
[signature]
simplified rough video

[url "http://www.alastair.gowans.btinternet.co.uk/lffdhaul.htm"]http://www.alastair.gowans.btinternet.co.uk/lffdhaul.htm[/url]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]One would think that the proper fly casting form is cast in concrete. I think about other sports where professionals do not necessarily mimic each other. If you look at the golf swing of pros like Jim Furyk, Lee Trevino and many others, they do not subscribe to the basic traditional form. While their take away swings are rather unorthodox, when they reach the hitting area very little difference can be noted between them and other pros. I am not advocating deviations from the acceptable fly casting form but couldn’t it be that those fly casters that appear to deviate from the acceptable form can be just as effective as those that do not? Just thought I would throw out something to chew on. As tubeN2 said – and I agree “We are all unique and I respect that.”[/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
I agree...and one day I will have a "style" of my own.. but for now.. I still have a lot to learn from ya'll

MacFly
[signature]
Thats exactly it, mac.. show me the correct way and I'll take it from there

Great point too Dryrod.. all swings are not created equal in golf. I bet much like golf has had its father's of the swing that everyone trys to mimic from Ben Hogan and Sam Snead to today's Tiger Woods.

I can remember my father telling me "There's a big difference in my game compared to Ben Hogan's ... He'd hit 300 balls a day for practice - I hit 300 practice balls a year."

[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3]I have read some where that the pros will now hit about a 1000 balls during practice. The difference is that someone is monitoring their swing. Be it their caddie or teacher to notice flaws in their swing. Now I think that if someone was watching me while I practice casting in my back yard they could point out some of the flaws in my swing. When one is swinging/casting correctly the results are evident. When the results makes you cringe you may wonder what did I do or not do to deserve that cr*p. Maybe I should set up my video camera and sell the taping as a Tim Conway Dorf type production on fly casting.[Wink][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
We all learn from each other. No body can possibly know it all. We stop learning only when our brains cease to function.[cool]
[signature]
[laugh][laugh]
I'd pay $10 for the DVD to see that! [Wink]

Dryrod stars in "Dorf on Flyfishing" ... [laugh]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hey there birddogwi - so you think that a new career awaits me around the corner? Think that my first DVD will be entitled "Dryrod the Dorf goes spear fishing with his fly rod". Only $9.99 @ IHOP. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I would buy one also! Started thinking about the Haul this weekend and I guess it is right at the end of the stroke to help sling the line out. Got a lot of practice with it and ROLL casting this weekend. It was nice to have a couple come up and say they enjoyed watching, so I must be doing something right.
[signature]
Now that you have brought up the art of the back yard fisherman, why is it that I can cast down to my backing with 2 fake cast but on a boat I'm lucky to get 30' out?
[signature]
You beat me to that one. Out in the street, I can cast to my backing and then some, but put me on water with a little tiny fly, and the only time I see my backing is if a fish runs.
Maybe it is a MENTAL thing or something. "Add fly, and instant mental block".[cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]maybe thats my problem.. :-).. but wait.. what is backing?? [sly]

MacFly[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
That is so frustrating. Here you are thinking you're the great american hero while fishing for garden knombs. Then watch me crumble at crunch time.
[signature]