Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye areas
Do Walleyes hang out near deep water ?
[signature]
[black][size 3]Much of the time.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Walleye are found in very deep water in many waters. They are bottom feeders, with minnows and insects making up much of their diet.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Two of the most productive methods of fishing for them are baits and lures with bottom bouncers, and deep diving baits like the "walley diver".[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The old standard which was developed in the upper midwest, was a drag sinker(Lindy Rig) with a leach, worm or minnow attached. Also, jigs and minnow combinations are very effective.[/size]

[black][size 3]I think that more important than the depth, is finding structure at any depth. They seem to relate to structure like many other fish.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Do they follow structure to feed ? We have just started to fish for them this year, we have lived in Calif all our lives and just moved to Utah.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Like most fish, they follow their food source.[/size][/black][black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Eating, environment (comfort/safety) and reproduction are the main driving forces in any fishes life.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Thank God we have electronics to help find them. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]In Utah, which is the only place that I have fished for them, doesn't have the greatest Walleye fishing. We have only about 4 waters that hold them. The most productive time to fish for them is in the spring, just before, during and after the spawn. The limited populations group up, and make them easy to find.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]My own limited experience, has found that the bottom bouncer trailed by a spinner and two hook worm harness has been most productive.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[black][size 3]In other states, they are allowed to fish for them with live baits, like leaches and minnows. Plus, they have much larger populations of them. It would be nice to have some of the Minnesota or Canada waters located nearby.[/size][/black]
[signature]
These fish are hard to track down in Utah. We have many hours of looking and limited success.
[signature]
[black][size 3]I can relate to your quest, and limited success.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Right now, I think that I would fish Yuba. There are reports with some fish being caught at Deer Creek, S[/size][size 3]tarvation, Willard Bay, and Utah Lake, but my bet would be on Yuba.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Anyone in Utah that goes out and expects to fill a limit of Walleyes has made a bet on a long shot. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Walleye and Kokes are the only fish that I keep, and Sad as it is, my only real success on both species are during their spawning periods.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]In my opinion, they are the best fish that I have ever tasted, and a chance to come home with me for dinner end up with them in a fry pan with light seasoning (salt & pepper).[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I wish you luck in your quest. Here in You-tah, I think most are caught by accident while people are fishing for other species.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
Right now, I think that I would fish Yuba. There are reports with some fish being caught at Deer Creek, S[size 3]tarvation, Willard Bay, and Utah Lake, but my bet would be on Yuba[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]starvation has a bigger population of walleye than yuba right now. one of the biggest problem with catching walleye is keep your bait/lure in the there stike zone. most of the time that is right near the bottom. deer creek with the low water levels should help to find the eye. the break between rocky shore and the mud basin at deer creek can be good, its two different bottom types so you have a more prey for the eyes. trolling the basin up at the east end can be good, we normaly have 2 rod bouncing bottom with cranks and two suspended with crank. crawfish colors work good with the lower level(their losing places to live as the water drops). [/size]
[signature]
Thanks for all the imfo. All imfo would help, if you do not want to share PM me so we can figure these hard to find fish.
[signature]
walleye's are in deep water alot, they have their own little pattern they fallow. in the walleye world, evey lake\ res, is a differant world. you can catch walleye all year round here in Utah.
deer creek has been pretty good for the last few months trolling bottom bouncers/worm harness up on the flats in 8 to 12 foot of water. later chuck
[signature]
Thanks, we have been doing all that but sometimes the bites and catching are terrible. Then at other times its great, what gives ?
[signature]
what gives. its walleye fishing.lololol its the hardest fish in utah to be consistant with. to many factors come into play day to day at dc as well as every other walleye water in utah. its a seak and destroy mission every time we go for eyes. with the water levle dropping fast they will seek diffent feading areas with better ambush cover or some scatterd rock something to patrol looking for fead. just like we are doing moving around looking for the depth of prey. kinda like driving around looking at fast food joints.lol life in the food chain is the same above and below the water. if ya want some moore info pm me. ken
[signature]
For just starting to fish for walleye, you are doing one magnificent job! The success you had a Yuba makes all walleye fisherman envious. Besides that, you are willing to share. That makes for one great BFT member! Thanks!
[signature]