Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help picking out a versatile rod/reel setup
i wanna here your opinion on what are some good polls and spin reels and why you think so. im lookin for a versatile setup that can catch various species of freshwater fish and can fish most lures successfully. money is not a real problem... ive got a summer job and no expenses to pay for Smile

can yall explain the benefits of a stiffer rod compared to a more flexible one, a heavier rod to a lighter rod, and a longer rod to a shorter rod and any others aspect of a pole that is significant
[signature]
Get longer Medium action pole. I prefer Daiwa. Their reels are junk on the combos. If you want the rod get it and sell the reel. Buy an Eagle Claw reel. Eagle Claw makes really smooth reels. I like the Aristocrat G230 but I can't find anymore of them to buy even on ebay.com. Oh well. Maybe you will have some luck.
[signature]
one of my current setups is an eagle claw rod and shimano reel... I am a fan of shimano now that I have used the same one now for nearly 20 years.

My reel is rated for 4-10 pound test line, I have additional spools and load them with 4-6-8 and 10 pound test.

it has a battle drag on it, a lever to go from no drag to tought and a dial to ajust the minimum drag, I leave that set at two pounds.
[signature]
I would suggest the Okuma Granite Combo #CQS-862MH-GR40 . It is a good combo and runs around 65 bucks.

It is good all around. It comes with the GR-40 reel.[cool]
[signature]