Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead Free Fishing Sinkers to Make at Home
These are particularly good for kids who fish.

[Smile]

[url "http://www.perkons1.com/SANDSINKERS/Sandsinkers.html"]http://www.perkons1.com/SANDSINKERS/Sandsinkers.html[/url]

Perkons
[signature]
Welcome to BigFishTackle. Thanks for sharing that wonderful idea with us. It is always better to use something environmentally friendly such as sand.[cool]
[signature]
Excellent idea.
welcome aboard.
[signature]
I was fishing with the sandsinkers yesterday on the jetty in Avon on the Sea in NJ and discovered something interesting:

If I reel in to refresh the bait (or sometimes to bring in the fish) and leave the sandsinker on the ground, even for a minute, it doesn't cast as well. Probably this is because the water between the grains of sand drips out and air gets in.

On the other hand, if I dip the sinker in some water (yesterday this was a puddle of ocean water on the surface of the jetty) it becomes heavier and casts excellently; about 95% as well as a lead sinker if the stroke is right. It has to make a bigger arch over like a medieval catapult.

P.S. I almost caught a pesky young brown cormorant who was diving after my bunker bait. After that I had to fish in a different area from where the nincompoop bird was hanging out. Teenagers!!
Perkons

[cool]
Useless with sewing machine. UMMM.. a problem.

Do you have some old shirts around that you are throwing out?

Cut off the long strip in front that holds the buttons and also the one with the buttonholes.

Now you have two hollow fabric tubes.

Cut into sinker lengths, tie off bottom, fill with sand, tie off top and attach to line.

It works!

Perkons[fishin]
[signature]
[font "Courier New"]
The idea is to MEASURE the sand after it has dried. Say: 1/4 cup or 1/2 cut or whatever. Then just use that amount.

I must admit that this "exact oz" business baffles me. I just make a bunch of sandsinkers of all different sizes and styles and choose one that seems to be the right size for the situation.

Then I dip it into water just before casting and cast over the rocks.

One interesting thing I have found is that lead sinkers have an advantage when casting INTO THE WIND but sandsinkers have an advantage when casting WITH THE WIND. Like kites they use the wind to go further. Sometimes the other folks on the jetty have been amazed at how far my kite-sandsinker goes with the wind. One guy said "How did you do that?"[shocked]

Perkons
[/font]
[signature]