Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot koke fishing at FG
We arrived at Lucerne on Tuesday July 24th and set up camp that evening. In the morning (5:30 AM) we launched the boats and headed for the Anvil area. We found very few kokes in that area, so we headed a little further north to check lower marsh out. We found enough kokes to justify dropping a few lines and it was pretty steady fishing all morning. We caught lots of fish in the 3 lb range and my grandpa caught one that went a hair over 4 lbs. That was cool because he doesn’t get too many chances to fish with us any more.
[inline Grandpa.JPG]
That evening we launched and fished the pipeline area. We marked quite a few fish, but only caught 10 or so kokes. But, that wasn’t too bad for an evening I guess. In the morning we headed for the marsh creek area again and did very well. We caught plenty of 3-4 lb kokes. (Around 30 total). The next morning we drove north and launched at Buckboard. We fished up there all morning and did very well, but nothing broke the 4 lb mark that morning. Saturday morning we decided to leave the downriggers and do some bass fishing. We have never done that, so it was a fun change. The biggest went about 1.5 lb. Pretty small, but not bad for our first time I guess. We caught more than we could count.
[inline "Weston bass.JPG"]
We had planned on heading home, but some of us decided to stay for one more morning. So, we headed back to the marsh creek area and caught tons of fish. We got a late start due to waking up kids, and having to gas up. We drove and launched at Anvil and dropped our first lines at around 7:30. We immediately began catching fish and for the next hour it was as hot as I’ve ever seen it. It did slow down, but we continued to catch fish (just not as quickly) until about 11. We then spent an hour catching some bass, and then headed in. It was a good trip, and we had a lot of fun. We had the opportunity to get some newbies into some kokes for the first time. We were also able to do some tubing and swimming almost every day. The weather was a little unsettled in the afternoons, which brought the temperature down and made it very comfortable. All in all it was one of the best trips I’ve ever had to the Gorge! (Even though I didn’t fish for myself a whole lot)
Best baits - No contest, the best setup was a Rocky Mt Tackle hyper plaid dodger with a pink glow hoochie trailing 12 inches behind it. This rig was awesome! We also had success with their chartreuse tiger dodger trailed by a green UV hoochie. We had best success on pinks when it was sunny, and greens when it was cloudy or low light, but Jareds glow dodgers were also really good in the low light mornings. We trailed them with RGT’s and had a lot of success with them. We used pro cure super gel scents and "Carp Spit" was the best scent, followed by "Sweet Corn." The best speed for us was 1.9 on the GPS. It was amazing to see the difference even a small change in speed would make. Then we’d get back to 1.9 and bang, it was back on.For the bass we drop shot rigged RGT's and tipped them with a piece of nightcrawler.
[inline Brett.JPG]
[inline Braxton.JPG]
[inline "Braxton and Kyra.JPG"]
[inline "Brett at camp.JPG"]
[inline Bridger.JPG]
[inline "Dad and Weston.JPG"]
[inline Zach.JPG]
[inline "Zach, Brett, Kyra.JPG"]
[signature]
Nice fish Brett. We did see you up at Lower Marsh but was too busy dodging other boats to get close and say hi. Glad you got the newbies into the kokanee. Jared and I also had a newbies on board as well. That is what it is all about. I was running three poles most of the time and was letting him take them all unless we had a double on, then I had to help out. I should be up there every weekend until labor day. Stop by and say hi if you get up there again.
[signature]
Brett, great report and pictures. I need to give the kokanee another try and see if I learned anything from Jared's seminar.
[signature]
Brett, thanks for the report and the pictures! Sweet fish! Sounds like a great trip. Russ
[signature]
Nice Report
Getting Newbies out is always fun. Did you leave any Kokes for us? Nice pics. I still havent made it out to the Gorge but sure would like too, maybe in August.
[signature]
so where is lower marsh i havent heard of it before. ill take a stab and say its between squaw and andvil?. we also did good up by buckboard with one goeing over 5lbs.
[signature]
Don't worry trowtslayr, we left plenty of kokes! That place is truly amazing, both numbers wise and quality. Get up there while its good!
[signature]