Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spey casting
I first off wanna tell every one that Netflix has a great video introducing SPEY CASTING if you can get by the gals voice (fingernails down a chalkboard)
Anyway, I have been interested in spey or two handed fish for quite some time. I have mention a switch rod which is basically a spey.
Tonight I had the pleasure of meeting Dec Hogan author of "Passion For Steelhead" and a master of Spey. He is also helping the new rod company by Raejeff (Cool rods by the way) come out with a SPEY line. He had several proto Echo's there, so I got to play around with a 13'+ 4wt and a 13+' 7wt. Got the Roll down and the Basic "D" cast and had a blast.
These things require very little energy to cast once you get both hands in the right place and the fly in the ANCHOR ZONE.
I was picking 70+' of line off the water and recasting with unbelievable accuracy.
Now the ECHO 2 comes with two tips. One for accuracy and one for distance (or big flie/wind) for around $300.
I asked Dec if the spey would have two tips. He said no at this time, but he liked the idea. Not for two different actions, but rather a spare for the Steelheaders.

Based on how easy these are to cast, and how pin point accuracy can be achieved, I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for them to be introduced to the public.
A 13+' 6wt would be awesome.

TubeN2, when you said you can cast a Country Mile with a Spey rod...well, tonight, I became a believer.[cool]
[signature]
I love Spey casting. I am still doing it with 10' rods but I did learn on a 13footer. I have a couple of rods coming from my sponsor.

The Okuma Aventa is a Float Rod to some but a Spey rod to the rest of us. They have a 13'6" and a 15'6". The country mile cast will come out of one of them.

I can spey at 90+ feet. You can do the Whip Cast with the same ones and get more distance. I am anticipating 140 or better with the 15'6" model. It is just right for 1/8oz to 3/8oz flies.

I can't wait.[cool]
[signature]
I was able to play around with a spay rod at a seminar on spey casting and it is awsome the accuracy and distance you can get. Some day maybe[angelic]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Glad you got a chance to try spey casting. The Echo rods you were using, have impressed the fly fishing community, big time.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]They are a new company, run by Tim Rajeff, who I think was a rod designer for Gary Loomis before starting Echo.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]For the Echo rod, with only one tip, they sell for $139.95, and are reported to be as good as rods costing twice the price.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Spey casting equipment doesn't fit into my type of fishing, but when I get out and about, I plan on picking up one of their 3 or 4 weight rods.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I understand Cabelas carry the Echo line or Jason at Utah Fly Drifters of Utah carries them also. Jason is a local, very knowledgeable, fellow just starting a on-line and guiding business.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
JASON is the man for sure. We have known him for years, in fact all my productive flies were his ideas.
Nick and Stef also sale the ECHO (I think) along with Vosseler and Rainy's Flies and supplies.

The Spey rods are not in production.....YET, but I am sure it won't be long.
[signature]
okay..Im a little lost...like that is unusual..lol.. but.. the ECHO rod...is it a spey rod or a switch rod.. and is it being built by Mr Rajeff?..

..and refreshing my memory.. a switch rod is like a step between a "standard" fly rod and a spey rod.. correct...

either way sis.. sounds like you had a blast .. would of loved to of seen video or pics of you in action...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Spey rods were originally in 8wt and heavier, and also 12'
and up.
Then they came out with lighter weight rods (4wt, 5wt, 6wt) and a little smaller grip front and rear and called them SWITCH.
Now Rajeff designed a rod and it is going under the ECHO title. He as a lot of other companies are answering the demands for longer double handed rods for us FRESH WATER TROUT people.
This is a true SPEY rod with the LONG cork grip in the front and a longer in the back. You use your left hand (if you are right handed) to power the tip and it requires very little movement with a 13 1/2' rod. No more false casting to get a lot of line out.
The line is different for sure and is weighed in grains not rod weight.
In fact as Dec put it, a friend bought a 7/8 weight spey rod and then bought 7/8 weight spey line. Neither could cast the rod with ease. Dec said it should have been an 8/9 line or the GRAINS.
The new Echos will have the recommended GRAIN printed right on the rod where regular rods list the line weight.

At least, this is my take on it....I might have missed something.
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#005000][size 3]First and foremost thank you for the info.. as always you are one of many that come thru for me here... [Smile][/size][/#005000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#005000][size 3][/size][/#005000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#005000][size 3]next... I dont think you would of missed something when you were having so much fun... [Smile][/size][/#005000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#005000][size 3]I went to cabelas and looked up echo rods.. they dont list the rods as spey but they do have a line of 12.5' and 13.5' rods with handles exactly as you describe... so are these the echo spey rods??? they only cost 139 (less than my sage...lol)... and I still think would be an excellent rod to use from shore on lakes where you have limited space to cast.. but that is my .02... [laugh][/size][/#005000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#005000][size 3]I also looked at the spey lines that run from 150 down 60 or so.. and then theere is a spey leader.. my gosh.. does it ever end...[angelic][/size][/#005000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#005000][size 3]MacFly [cool][/size][/#005000][/font]
[signature]