Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last trip on the Ice!
[cool]We got back last night from fishing In Canada, we did O.K on pike , with the biggest a little over 20 lbs, but the walleye bite was great ! We (4 of us ) caught around 80, alot of 15'' and under, but alot over too ! The largest was 27''. The highlite of this trip was , Gary left his rod unattended for awhile, and while he was talking to Dan, a fish pulled it in the hole ! lol! but at the same time , his other bobber went down and while reeling up, saw his hook caught his other line, and grab that line and pulled his rod and reel up, and started to fight the fish with his first rod ! He got it up to the hole, but it got off at the bottom of the hole , with just a glance of a large fish, only if he would of gotten that fish !!!!! On the way home, Todd and I (Gary and Dan went home) stop and fished the American side of Lake of the Woods, we went out at Rocky point hoping to get a few walleyes, and maybe get a few Tullibbees for smoking. We got set up with a tipup out , and was jigging with the other. The Tullibbees bit non stop and ended up with around 70 fish , a couple of eyes, and perch. Then we decided to try Red Lake for some slab Crappies on the way home, got set up by 5:00 and by 7:00 we packed up because of rain with no crappies, but we got alot of walleyes that we had to throw back because of the season being closed on inland waters, also you cant keep them on Red Lake till 2006, because of restocking efforts ! What a way to end the ice season !!
[signature]
Sounds like a good trip. I'm going through withdrawls, Ive been out once since the end of the BFT contest and I might be able to get out 1-2 times at ice out. after that I'll be working my butt off til fall.

Ive never been able to take a trip like the one you just came back from, maybe one of these days.
[signature]
[Smile] Hi Mary, welcome to the Minnesota board !!! I'm from the central part of the state ( ottertail lake area ? ). Feel free to come to our board and check out the reports and stories. Hopefully you can share some of yours that you had when you were in Minnesota, and also, let us know how your fishing is doing now where your at ?

Flagmanonice--------------Has anyone seen Mary ?.........
[signature]
Hey Mary,

I'm in Detroit Lakes, just up the road from Flag about 45 min.
[signature]
Wow! You guys are lucky. Just to survive, I work every holiday I possibly can. It'll take me a couple more years before I can afford to make a trip like that.

Oh well. I'll survive with my short day-long or even couple hr long excursions.

By the way... if y'all are curious... I'm in the north metro area.

And... can't forget to say this:

Mary... welcome to the board!
[signature]
[Wink] Hi drowneddesertrat ! These trips we take are'nt that expensive, we can go up to Canada and stay for 4-5 days for under $ 200.00 ! Next year we thought about staying on the ice , and that trip would be under $125 for you ! (you have to drive abit further ) For walleyeteaser, and Ulta-mag (both went this year ), it would be around $ 75-80, we'll talk later on the icefishing trips, its time for open water fishing baby !!!

Flagmanonice...............you ai'nt drowned yet, are ya ?
[signature]
hi mary , read your post , thoes homecommings are great aren't they ? it's a little strange how our experiances change our perspectives on how things were back then and how they actually are now . but the best thins never seem to have changed at all .

as a kid i spent my summers at grams and gramps farm in maine . there were these two huge bolders in there back fourtey that we used to spend hours on climbing , and there was a river down the road that we used to fish on a daily basis . .

i went back there about five years ago to visit with grams and gramps at there resting spot . i stoped by the old farm and saw the two bolders , they were the size of a voltswagon bug . the river was nothing more than a small creek .

despite all that i saw on my trip , grams and gramps still live on inside my thoughts , the bolders are still there to challenge my climbing abilitys , and that stream will always be the raging river that started this guy on his passion for fishing .

my first time ice fishing ? left everything on the bottom of the lake (erie ) and brought some of the lake home in the form of a new ice-suit .

i'm glad your fishing trip was a lot drier than mine .
[signature]