Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feral Swine Information
[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#00e010]Feral Swine Information[/#00e010][/font]
[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][black]
State to hunters: Help eliminate feral swine [center][size 2]Wild swine pose threat to domestic livestock,
environment and individuals[/size]
[/center]
[size 2]Hunters with a valid hunting license of any type are encouraged to shoot feral swine (free-ranging wild pigs). All prevailing hunting rules/regulations would apply.[/size]
[font "Arial"][size 2]See counties in grey on this map:
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/documents/emergingdiseases/MI_feralswinemap_203353_7.pdf"][#800080]Michigan Feral Pig Map[/#800080][/url][/size][/font][font "Arial"][size 2](314KB)
[/size][font "Arial"][size 2]Counties open to the opportunistic take of feral/unmarked swine.[/size][/font][/font]
[size 2] In states where feral swine have become established, they have caused crop damage, po[/size][size 2]se a serious threat to the health and welfare of the domestic swine, endanger humans, impact wildlife populations, and impact the environment by disrupting the ecosystem[font "Arial"]. [/font][/size] [size 2]
Because state law protects domestic livestock that may be running at large, special precautions are necessary to guard the rights of farmers. The following locations had at least one feral pig reported: Alcona, Alpena, Antrim, Arenac, Baraga, Bay, Branch, Berrien, Cass, Cheboygan, Clinton, Dickenson, Emmet, Genesee, Gladwin, Gratiot, Hillsdale, Isabella, Houghton, Ingham, Jackson, Lake, Lapeer, Lenawee, Livingston, Marquette, Mason, Mecosta, Midland, Montcalm, Montmorency, Newaygo, Oakland, Oceana, Ogemaw, Osceola, Oscoda, Otsego, Presque Isle, Roscommon, Saginaw, Sanilac, Shiawassee, St. Clair, and Washtenaw counties. County prosecutors are aware that shooting feral swine in these counties is permitted and any potential owners of the feral swine have been contacted and do not claim ownership.[/size][font "Arial"][font "Arial"][size 2]
"[/size][/font][/font][size 2]We will take aggressive enforcement action to protect the health of legally imported swine used in hunting preserves and to eliminate feral swine from the wild in Michigan",[/size] [size 2]said MDA State Veterinarian Steven Halstead. "Our goal is to safeguard the livestock industry as well as the environment from these unwelcome invaders."
"[/size][size 2]Hunters, as always, have to be certain of their targets before shooting", said Alan Marble, Bureau Chief of the DNR Law Enforcement Division. "Feral swine are unfamiliar targets to most Michigan hunters, and sportspersons need to make sure they are shooting at hogs and not black bear, dogs, or any other animal."[/size][size 2]
Because feral swine have the potential to carry diseases which may impact the state's domestic swine industry, MDA and DNR have set up a program to test these animals. DNR biologists at field check stations, in counties where feral swine have been sighted, will help hunters gather tissue samples to be submitted to the state diagnostic laboratory for free disease testing.
While there is no indication that these animals are carrying pseudorabies or any other disease, Precautionary testing will be conducted. Feral swine may also transmit diseases such as brucellosis, bovine tuberculosis (TB) and trichinosis to people and other livestock. [/size] [size 2]
A person field-dressing swine, especially in the Northeastern Lower Michigan TB area, should wear gloves.[/size] [size 2]If the lungs, ribcage or internal organs from wild pigs look abnormal (multiple tan or yellow lumps), the meat should not be eaten. The carcass should, however, be removed from the environment and brought to a DNR field office to prevent disease transmission to other animals.[/size][size 2]
It is highly unlikely a person will contract bovine TB, brucellosis or trichinosis by eating thoroughly cooked meat of feral swine[/size][size 2]. These pathogens and parasites are very rarely found, as a precaution however, all meats, including that of feral swine, should be thoroughly cooked to an internal temperature of 170.6 degrees F.
[/size] [size 2]State law prohibits the release of any species having the potential to spread serious diseases or parasites, to cause serious physical harm, or to otherwise endanger native wildlife, human life, livestock, domestic animals, or property. Intentional release of swine in Michigan is a felony and may be punishable by not less than $1,000.
The law also requires domestically raised swine (including Russian and Eurasian Boars), have a physical examination by an accredited veterinarian to determine the health status before and after importation into Michigan. Proper housing, husbandry, and confinement of the animal must also be determined at the time of importation. Therefore, swine not raised in captivity may not be imported and released anywhere in[/size] [size 2]Michigan[/size][size 2].
To help eliminate these pests, the DNR encourages hunters to t[/size][size 2]ake any legal opportunity to shoot feral swine. They can be unpredictable when and where they show up. Hunters may not easily get a second chance. (Tip) When shooting a pig, aim for the shoulder or slightly ahead of the shoulder. The vital area of a pig is more forward than a deer.[/size]
[size 2]If you see or shoot any feral swine please contact one of the following:[/size] [ul] [li]
[size 2]DNR at (517) 336-5030 or email [url "mailto:brownkr@michigan.gov"][font "Arial"][size 2]brownkr@michigan.gov[/size][/font][/url];[/size] [li]
[size 2]MDA at 1- (800) 292-3939 and press "4" for the Animal Industry Division[/size] [li]
[size 2]USDA Wildlife Services at (517) 336-1928.[/size][/li][/ul]
[size 2]For more information on zoonotic diseases and feral swine, go to:[/size] [font "Arial"][size 2][url "http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases"]www.michigan.gov/emergingdiseases[/url][/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Taken from DNR Press Release:[/size][/font] [font "Arial"][size 2][url "http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_10402-155749--,00.html"]State to hunters: Help eliminate feral swine[/url][/size][/font] [font "Arial"][size 2]
[/size][/font][font "Arial"][black]Wild swine pose threat to domestic livestock, environment and individuals[/black][/font]
[url "http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/wildlife_damage/content/printable_version/feral%20pigs.pdf"][font "Arial"][size 2] [/size][/font] Feral Swine in the U.S. [/url] [font "Arial"][font "Arial"][size 2]USDA brochure[/size][/font][/font]
[url "http://www.michigan.gov/documents/emergingdiseases/Hutton_Pig_Paper_177657_7.doc"][font "Arial"][#0000ff][size 2]Disease Risks Asscoiated with Feral Swine[/size][/#0000ff][/font][/url]
[font "Arial"][size 2]For a summary of feral pig ecology, behavior, origins and expansion, and management concerns and implication, please visit the [url "http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/HUNT/Pig/Pig_Hunting.htm"]Wisconsin DNR website on Feral Pigs[/url][/size][/font][font "Arial"][size 2] This site also has some excellent photos of feral pigs.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Last Revised: July 26, 2007[/size][/font][/black][/font]

Double nickels east of Houghton lake where the woods look swampy before F97 , yea buddy !!!!
10 near 30 and north , 10 near 18 and north-west , 61 at the bay line , all good areas .

bacon , bacon , bacon!!!! (and I don't meen beggin' strips eather
[signature]
Just think instead of going to the shooting range to get ready for bow or gun season , you hit the woods with your licence (small game license prefered by the Mi.D.N.R. ) and do some real hunting on a target that is as big in body as a deer , just as keen with it's sences at avoiding hunters as a deer , and fits in your freezer just as good as a deer does , better yet , NO LIMIT ON THEIR TAKE !!!!!!

Double nickels east of Houghton lake where the woods look swampy before F97 , yea buddy !!!!
10 near 30 and north , 10 near 18 and north-west , 61 at the bay line , all good areas .

bacon , bacon , bacon!!!! (and I don't meen beggin' strips eather )
[signature]
[url "http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=b7d79b98-8126-4c9c-8cbb-7785cad421df"]Feral pigs spreading out into Michigan's suburbs, parks[/url]
[signature]
I read that on the Flint Journal site , it had a pic of a farmer with one he shot in his corn feild , big nasty looking pig .
[signature]
Have to admit... I've never seen a pig running around in the woods. But if I do.. you can be sure he'll be in my freezer if I can get a shot.

Be sure ya kill em.... heard they can get pretty nasty mean when you just wing them.
[signature]
Been looking for arnold ziffle in my area for a year , the artical says my county is infested with them .

Watched a show today on pigs (modern marvels )
12 to 24 per litter and average of 20 litters per lifetime .

I e-mailed the debt. of agriculture for more location information .
[signature]
me too, I like them little ziffel burgers.. pretty taisty...

ya with all the hoopalla about them it makes me want to cary a side arm with me every time I take a walk in to the woods....

I had a buddy who died from complications of a pig attack 8 years after the fact... he couldnt draw his side arm fast enough when doing a guided tour...

After he died Ted Nugent bought his estate....
[signature]
I finaly spotted me a pair of ferral hogs.
to bad I was doing 70 down the Eway when I saw them.

they were standing out in the middle of a feild half mile from the nearest cover...

now I am going to be honest, I could not tell them from live stock breeds, the ones I saw were black and whites... I imagine they are live stock that had escaped.

I've been two years lookin and finaly I can account for two running in the wild..

now if some one would shew them over my way when I am out in the woods, I would apreciate it verry much..[:p]
[signature]
I guess they seen some around here to ..but I havent seen any
[signature]
I heard roumor that there was a place here in the state that was paying 25 dolla a head for them...