Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba Pike and Walleye
Utwalleye invited me to go to Yuba with him and Crossineyes to fish for the walleye yesterday. I have fished with them before and knew of their talents as walleye fishermen. In fact, Utwalleye was the one who took me to Deer Creek several years ago and taught me how to catch walleye there. Since then I have fished with both Chuck and Ken many times. If anyone can catch walleye these men can! I had to go to Yuba again to check out the walleye situation. This time we went in a boat—Chuck’s boat. In Chuck’s boat I knew we could go all over that reservoir and check out the walleye situation.
I teamed up with Chuck and Ken at the Orem Center Street exit at 5:30 am. We arrived Yuba about 7 am. There was a small breeze on the water. We threw a few crankbaits near the rocks just off the Painted Rocks boat harbor to see if we could catch the attention of some Pike. We were unsuccessful, so we boated down to the East Beach and started trolling bottom bouncers with crawler rigs. I caught the first perch, but was quickly followed by Chuck and Ken. In fact, we caught perch nonstop from the time we arrived until the time we left at about 4 pm. I have never seen so many perch. We started to run through the nightcrawlers like we had a nightcrawler farm. I put on a Berkley Power Worm so we wouldn’t run out of crawlers. I believe I caught as many perch on the plastic worm as I did on the real thing. We trolled all over Yuba from the Painted Rocks boat harbor to the main harbor/ dam, and back to Painted Rocks again. We crossed the reservoir several times in the process, and we trolled over areas multiple times that appeared to hold pike, and hopefully walleye. We never saw a walleye! We fished walleye point carefully.
While we were near the dam we noticed a lot of dead trout. We also noticed trout dying near the shore. I don’t know why!
In the afternoon Chuck hooked into a huge Pike. He got the fish near the boat and it broke or cut off his line. Chuck rigged up a crawler rig using braided line and went after another Pike in the same area. Wham! He boated a beautiful Pike. We took pictures of it and released it.
The wind was pretty bad in the afternoon. Chuck struggled to keep the boat where he wanted it, so we could keep the bottom bouncers where we wanted them. It was almost impossible for him to do so. He struggle with the wind, trying to keep us on course while constantly catching fish, and trying to put on new bait, after catching fish or after the pesky perch “robbed” the bait. After a while we decided to troll crankbaits. Again, we constantly caught fish. Sometimes the perch we caught were almost as large as the crankbaits we used.
We had a great day. We constantly caught fish, and we enjoyed each other’s company. Ken and Chuck are great guys! I had hoped, however, that someone would have caught a walleye. We were using walleye tactics and crankbaits all day long. The experience reinforced my belief that there aren’t as many walleye in Yuba as many people claim. Crossineyes (Ken) is more positive about the walleye situation than I am. He feels that they are there, in schools that we just didn’t find. I hope he is right.
[signature]
I HAD A GREAT TIME WITH YOU GUYS. WE DIDNT GET THE EYES. BUT CHUCK GOT HIS FIRST PIKE AND THAT WAS COOL. 11 DOZEN CRAWLERS LOL WHAT A DAY. SEE YA SOON LLYDE
[signature]
I had a great time with you guys, too bad about the eyes for us. oh well there's next time. I think I'll wait for the Oct. mauk run for my next walleye trip. we'll hit it again then. thank for hang'en out.
later chuck
[signature]
Way to get em guys! I need to get me a pike soon. Do they hit topwater down there or just trolling? Any flooded brush or shrubery?
[signature]
I know they hit bottom bouncer rigs, and crankbaits. I've seen them caught at Yuba with both the rigs and crankbaits. I don't know why they wouldn't hit topwater offerings, but I haven't personally seen them caught that way. I have seen them caught in the rocks near the shore early in the early morning, and yesterday I saw them caught near brush in the afternoon.
[signature]
I THINK THEY WILL HIT THEM. BUT ID TRY THAT ONE NEXT SPRING. NOW THEY ARE ON CRAWLER HARNESSES BIG TIME. ALOT OF THE PIKE ARE CLOSE TO BRUSH BUT NOT UP IN IT. WE PITCHED CRANKS AT SOME SWEET COVER AND NADA. BOTH TIMES I GOT INTO THEM IN THE SAME SPOT SO IF YA GO DOWN SEND ME A PM AND ILL TELL YA WHERE THE GOOD ONES ARE HITTING.
[signature]
Cool thanks
[signature]
[cool]
Nice outing guys!

You guys ever try the top 3-10' over deep water out there for Eyes?
[signature]
No I never try it. Is it good ? We stay by deep water or its within the area we fish.
[signature]
We didn't try it. Perhaps we should have.
[signature]
ya we tried it we trolled cranks down to 12 over 30 ft at some places but most the time kept the baits close to the bottom around the contour lines. the suface temp is 80 degrese not sure how they would be able to handle that.
[signature]
80's pretty high - wow. .. how far down does it reach?

Sort of paints a picture of a nice heavy thermocline though.. hmmm.
[signature]
we really don't have any bait fish that suspend like the great lakes area, other then willard's gizzard shad and it's not a deep clear lake. where do you fish (live) we're in Utah. most of the lakes have yellow perch and thats what the eyes feed on mostly. I have trolled out over deep water but mostly for trout. later chuck
[signature]