Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Maryland-Lake Bonnie, Eastern Shore
Greetings from the state of Maryland. Just a quick note to fill everyone in on this past weekend's fishing.

First off, the where....I have a permament campsite set up at Lake Bonnie Campground, Greensboro, Maryland.

The when....last weekend, Sunday to be precise.

The what....bass, bass, and more bass! Oh, yeah, and a couple of crappie too!

The story....It was our first weekend out at the camp. Saturday was spent cleaning the camper and readying the boat. Did a little dock and shore fishing, but nothing was hitting. I tried all the old "reliable" early spring lures and techniques, but got nothing but frustrated for my efforts. The next morning, up bright and early, motor, battery and tackle in the boat, I headed out. The temperature was about 45 degrees, but the sun was up and shining bright. I started out on the east side of the lake, casting right into the shallows, using a hula popper, then switching to a chug bug, nothing hitting. After about an hour spent trolling the lakes edges and, again, getting nowhere with all the traditional early spring lures, I decided to split off from the norm. I reached into my plastics box and pulled out, what for me is an old standby, a bright chartreuse with black flake 6 inch lizard. With the lizard, crimped on a #3 split shot, rigged Carolina, up about 8 inches from the head of the lure. Casted out towards a fallen tree, I started a slow dragging retrieve, with an occasional twitch. About halfway through the retrieve, a little hit, then another...on the third, I set the hook...first bass of the year, about 1 1/2 pounds! Back into the lake he went, with a message to send his bigger brother! Next cast out, another hit, this time a big one! I set the hook on the first strike and low and behold, a 4 POUNDER! From then on, it was like a fishing show! By the time I went in for brunch, I had boated 7 bass and 2 one pound crappies total! And this in only about 3 hours!

The wrap-up....all fish were released almost as soon as they were caught (except for the 4 pounder, he went into the live well for weighing and pictures). A word about the campground. Lake Bonnie is an all seasonal family campground on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, with a 28 acre lake which is fed from and feeds back into the Choptank River. Though it is an all seasonal campground, they do allow the public to come in and fish, for a small fee ($3 bucks). Boats are allowed, but with trolling motors only...if anyone is interested in directions, email me privately at [url "mailto:LSUChris@comcast.net"]LSUChris@comcast.net[/url] and I'll fill you in!

Happy fishing!

LSUChris
[signature]