Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poachers get a sinking feeling ....
[Image: icon13.gif]Poachers get a sinking feeling ....
I guy i met fishing one of my favourite holes a ways back gave me a call on Sunday night. He was at this honey hole and had a story to tell me about what happened there Sunday morning. Before i retell it, let me just fill you in about him and this gorgeous little "spot" which we try to keep as secret as possible and take care of. When i first discovered it, there was a pile of trash on one shore as though someone had dumped all the yard trash he had been accumulating over the years there.
The guy I met lives nearby and is fanatical about protecting the place and suggested we clean up the place which I was delighted to do (he had a 4 wheeler and trailer so hauling out the rotting lawn mower, vinyl swimming pool etc, was possible).
He once complained to me about some Asian guys who would come there in their inflatable kiddie boat and keep everything they caught, and they caught a lot ... sunnies and crappie mostly, but a few bass and pickerel too. Way more than their alottment. I saw them myself one day, but could not tell how many fish they had actually caught.
He mentioned he had called several offices of authority to report the issue,but nothing was ever done. He assumed it was because this little lake was so far off the road and without a 4 wheeler, you had quite a ways to hoof it (about two miles through the bush) and the authorities were either lazy or did not have the resources to spare.
Anyway, I guess this Sunday he took matters into his own hands.

Apparently after seeing them on the water, he went home to fetch his competition air rifle. He returned and stalked them until he was within range and hidden and fired two (I think he said two) pellets into the inflatable.
He reckons they couldn't have heard the shots as no one seemed to notice anything out of the ordinary - until the inflatable rapidly became a deflatable.
Since they don't wear life jackets, they were forced to abandon their gear and swim for shore.
He was laughing as he related the story to me, oblivious of the fact that I was NOT amused. Actually I was shocked at his behaviour.
I always thought the guy had a mature and responsible outlook on life and his insatiable need to nurture nature was a part of this. However this has shed some more light on his character,and I'm sorry to say that I don't think I want to associate with him anymore.
Don't get me wrong, you need only need look at my sig and read my posts to know how I feel about poachers - but firing a weapon at them .... shameful.
What a pitty ... [Image: down.gif] -ABT
[signature]
I think most if not all of us have wanted to do something similar to what your friend did. I agree with you though that you can't take matters into your own hands like that. Had something bad happened to them after their raft sank he would have been responsible. Just not worth it.
[signature]
I agree, it isn't worth any future ramifications and/or lawsuits if something bad were to happen to them. However, I can't fault your friend for feeling the way he did when he "took matters into his own hands" as you so politely put it. Although I do not condone firing a weapon at anyone, I must admit that this doesn't mean that making a raft full of stinking poachers sink and lose their gear wouldn't have crossed my mind either. However radical your friends actions were, we must walk away having learned that two wrongs don't make a right and what goes around comes around. Both parties will be righted by the inevitability of karma and universal powers.[cool]
[signature]
[center][size 1]karma[/size][/center] [center][size 1][/size] [/center] [center][size 1]10 times the fun[/size][/center] [center][size 1]10 times the runs[/size][/center] [center][size 1][/size] [/center] [center][size 1]what goes out dose comes back[/size][/center]
[signature]