Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas surf fishing
As most of us know the drum run is coming through texas in the next couple months. I have
some questions:

Other than surfside and crystal beach what are some good areas of galveston to fish at.

Also how is the shark fishing at theis time of year, does it get better when the drum run.

Last one, which reel would be better for shark/redfish the penn senator 113hlw 4/0, the 114 6/0 or the shimano tld series (20 or 25)

Im 13 and need a new rig for surf/peir fishing.
Also dont need a rig that with tear my arms off catching 4-6 foot sharks and 35-55 pound drum.

Thanks
Brooks

BIG BAIT + BIG HOOK = BIG FISH
[signature]
Yes the Drum run is on the way. They are fun on lighter tackle but if you are just starting out somewhat than I would suggest something in the meduim to medium heavy range.

As far as the reels go, I would choose the TLD 25 from your selection. It has a little better drag system and is a lot more comfortable to crank on when you get one of those nice Hammerheads.

As far as fishing areas go, you can pretty much fish the whole Island. That little channel next to the University is also good.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I have another question, What type of rod should i use, a big 9-15 footer or a smaller rod, alsso what action would be best.

I am just trying to expand the range of fish I can catch, right now I only have 2 penn 307 levelwinds and an ambaSador 6000 for shark/bull red fishing.

I have about 30 fishing poles (mostly 10-20lb. line class).

Thanks again,
Brooks

BIG BAIT + BIG HOOK = BIG FISH
[signature]
The longer rods are better if you are casting from shore and need to cast past the active surf line. Medium action is preferred for the surf too.

8 to 9 foot rods are good from a pier although 7feet is plenty. They pier is already close to the zone that you want to be in.

When I am fishing from the piers here in Cali, and decide to target Shark, I like to use the Penn 320 GTI. It is also a levelwind and about the size of the Penn 3/0 reel.

Now I use more Okuma. They have the Convector series that has levelwind and holds plenty of line.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks tuben2, great info.

Brooks
[signature]
You are most welcome. I hope you can benfit from this information and catch lots of fish.

Please be sure to post some pics too and remember: no more than 450 pixels wide on the pics. It makes it easier for others to respond to you post and give you praise for your hard work.[cool]
[signature]
Ok i'll be sure to do that when i go to galveston next, with school in it is kind of hard to go but i'm going to get down there once.

Brooks
[signature]
What area are you currently fishing?? There are lots of differrent species to catch in so many waters.[cool]
[signature]
I do not live in Galveston but I do prefer the galveston fishing pier and surfside beach. I also sometimes fish the inlet near the university, though not often. My grandparents are going to move down there and live on one of the inlets to the bay. My grandfather will probably buy a bay boat for him and me to use. In that case i might go for larger sharks since i can chase them with the boat! Also do you know ant fish I can catch trolling inshore, say to the max of 3-5 miles out?

Brooks
[signature]
There is plenty to catch on the troll. You can get Wahoo, Dorados, AJs, Barracudas, Kings and quite a few other surprises.[cool]
[signature]
Wahoo!!! I didnt know that you could catch those in texas, What bait would you use to use for kings and wahoo?

Brooks
[signature]
From the surf or pier, you will need to throw out Jigs or Heavy spoons. Make sure you have a good reel and some 25lb mono.

It will all depend on when the fish are in the area. They are Palaegics so the move around a lot.[cool]
[signature]
What about for trolling or boat fishing? And would I need 30-50lb line for that?

Brooks
[signature]