Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dyeing Bucktails
Due to the nature of my job, I have access to 100's of bucktails every fall. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best dye to use in colouring these.

Bill.
[signature]
I would think you might do well with Ritz.

it is color fast and wont run on you, I would go to your local quality fabric shop and see what kind of dies thay have on hand.

suggest to them you are interested in tie die. they should lead you to the brighter colors like chartruce reds and blues...
[signature]
Many thanks for the info Dave, it is greatly appreciated.

Bill.
[signature]
your welcome,

be sure to let us know what you end up using and how it works for ya.
[signature]
Did you ever find out what dye to use on your bucktail?
[signature]
I checked further into this and I also purchased A.K. Bests book on Dyeing and bleaching, which by the way is an excellent reference for anyone dyeing their own fly tying materials. I am going to try the Rit dye method and see what happens. I wont get at it till after New Years, I will post the results good or bad tho. Stay tuned.

Bill
[signature]
I have heard of using vinegar to help lock the color in. But that was in cloths not sure if it the same for hairs and feathers
[signature]
I have heard of using vinigar for egg colorings, but not so much for clothing, I havent done much dieing recently, just a little tie die some 35 years back..

I would lean twards following the directions on the die packet.. if it calls for vinigar, by all means throw it in...
[signature]
As a young man, ((to many years ago to mention)), I worked at a leather tannery. I dont recall a lot about the process of dying but I do recall we used a "penetrating dye" assisted with acid to to lower the PH to allow the dye to completely penetrate the hide and hair/wool. If I'm not mistaking Vinegar is a mild form of acid. My suggestion would be to check out tanning processes
[signature]