Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green River-Labor-Sec. B
Just returned from 3 days on the B Section of the Green. Camped two nights just above Grasshopper Island. I'd call the fishing "fair." There was a great Trico hatch all 3 mornings from 9:00 until about 11:00 that brought up many, many fish all across the river. Looked just like the great fall BWO hatches. The bugs are small, but the fish were eating up sparsley-tied size 16's. Little CDC duns, spinners, even the 'ole Parachute Adams. All that was required was a good presentation. None of those silly, invisible size 20's and down necessary!!!

Water flows are steady and low (900-ish), and as of noon today, red creek was dry. However, I did see some muddy water flowing toward red creek from a thunder shower on the drive out. But on the float, water was clear all the way to Taylor Flat early this afternoon.

Not much for other hatches. A few midges in the evening, but nothing to write home about. Caught a few fish blind-chicking small hoppers and #14 parachute adams during non-hatch times, which was most of the time. There were also the typical "scum-suckers" eating leftovers in the scum lines much of the time. I didn't do any nymphing, and only tossed a 'bugger a few times right at dark, which worked!

Oh, and I only saw 5 or 6 boats/rafts go by each day. Most of the time I had the whole river all to myself, as far as the eye could see. That $85 shuttle helps with that!

[inline "Resize of Bogie and me-fish.jpg"]
[signature]
Is the "rubber hatch" died down yet? I am heading up there in 2 weeks and hate combat fishing. [mad]
[signature]
"A" section is always a zoo. There was hardly anyone on "B", and that was Labor Day Weekend. I would have hated to see the upper river though.

If you hate combat fishing, either don't fish A section, or wait until November and go on a weekday.
[signature]
Hey Jim , I have often wondered if you are the same Jim that wrote the paperback book "Fly Fishing the Magnificent Green" ? I bought it back in 1994 . Back then I fished the Green a lot back then and a lot of the time at night in the summer . No combat fishing .
[signature]
I'm not the guy who wrote that book. Jim and I did both guide together on the Green in the late 80's, and both for Flaming Gorge Lodge, so we had some fun with that. He primarily did wade trips while I always did floats, so that helped folks tell us apart, besides the fact that I was also "the lake trout guy."

Last I heard he was living in Ft. Collins, CO. He's a good guy and a good fisherman, but it's his book, not mine.
[signature]