Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge report 9/1-2
Hey all,
Despite my busted ribs, I took my wife up to Flaming Gorge for a little camping and fishing for the weekend. I joined my uncle, his wife and his 2 boys.
We left early Saturday and launched at Sheep Creek. Went out and found my uncles boat, got my pole out which still had a Kastmaster on it, and pitched it towards the shore. Bam! First cast I caught a 14" smallmouth! My cousin said a bad word at that point, which I cannot repeat on this board and told me he had been trying all morning to catch a smallmouth! As it turns out, it was the biggest smallmouth I caught the whole weekend. I ended up with 13 Smallmouths, and a few chunky Rainbow trouts, and one Cutthroat. I didn't catch any Lakers, but my cousin and uncle caught 4 of them, all under 20 inches.
We really only fished Saturday as it was not windy, but boy there were a lot of holiday boaters. Hard to maintain boat control with boat waves pounding you constantly. Sunday was a blowout. Wind and wind and more wind all day long. I spooled a couple of reels on snags trying to troll in the wind and lost a lot of lures. I finally threw in the towell Sunday night and we came home a whole day early!
My goal is to learn how to catch a big Mac. I'm going to save my pennies for a guided fishing trip and then focus on that from now on when I go to that lake.
I didn't wakeboard or waterski (due to my busted up ribs) but I was able to cast as long as I kept my painkillers going!
I found out that there is a LOT of extra room in the boat without skis, wakeboards, ski ropes, etc.
Our campspot on the water was fabulous on Saturday night. We found a cove with a stream running into it and had it all to ourselves. I think it was called Eagle Creek? (South of Sheep Creek towards the dam).
I'll post pictures when I get them off the camera.

Randy

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
That mouth of Eagle Creek where you camped is a good rainbow spot all by itself when the water is running in, especially if it's a little off-color.
[signature]
We fished the gorge also Camped at Antelope flats cought a few but nothing to get exited about! Seen Capt Jim doing his thing straight out from the campground. we fished from Sheep Creek up to Anvil lots of traffic on the water!! It was pretty cool to see the boat parade and the fireworks great show!!! M.H.
[signature]
I haven't been on the lake since last Thursday, so it wasn't me. [laugh] I was home all day Friday, and on the lower river Saturday-Monday.
[signature]
We went up for our Annual Labor day Gorge trip with a bunch of friends and family. Yes, it get's crazy up there with 100's of others camping along the shore at Swim beach ( some party all night err) . [unsure]
It's a family tradition to watch the night time boat parade. It always amazes me the creativeness some boaters have! Every year some one comes up with new and creative light designs. This year the ship in the bottle was our favorite. . Fireworks were as good as they've ever been and overall Saturday had great weather. Sunday was horrible and so was the fishing. We could not located any large concentrations of Kokanee for jigging? Usually this time of year the Koke start to stage, but this year they were all over the water column? I HATE trolling, but it was the only way to catch Koke over the holiday weekend. We did land a few pup Mack jigging, but nothing over 9lbs. Overall it is always nice to go to the gorge even if the weather and fishing could have been better.
[signature]
we had the same results dmax, we hit every one of our jigging holes just to find out the fish were not there. this time of year the fish are usally down 60ft trolling or jigging, this year weve been catching them from 40ft to 50ft most of the time. when we went over our jigging spots we found the fish were there but all of them were still suspended and not hugging the bottom, but we didnt get beat by the kokes we finaly got one jigging, and same as you, we caught alot trolling, i guess well give it a try next year.
[signature]
oh yeah and the ship in the bottle was my fav to followed by the duck and crab. and the firework show was awsume they timmed them perfectly
[signature]
Sorry Jim it looked like yr boat and they were fishing in one of your spots[Wink]!! I dont blame you for not being on the lake over that weekend!! M.H.
[signature]