Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 9/8
Fished the berry sat 10am-2pm .trolled renagade and the upper narrows with little success.i managed to catch 1 juvinile about 16"
and quickly released it.Fish caught on a white rapala size 4.the girls went for a swim the temp was just over 65 degrees.[unsure]Probly you guys with downriggers/or jigging was better results.The weather was decent a little windy but not bad.Anywho my first post so Hello to everyone here on BFT and Happy fishing everyone
[signature]
hello calico, thanks for posting. not the best day but it is still fun too get out with the family. And welcome to the site.
[signature]
Went to the berry Saturday with FishingPro. The catching was fast from 7:00am-12:00am. Then the fished moved out from under us and the catching got tough. After relocating and scouting 3 different areas at 2:00pm we got back into an active school that lasted for a couple hours. All fish where caught jigging. Caught over 4 dozen, one over the slot two right 22 inches and most in the upper end of the slot. Hooked into a good sized rainbow got it up to the boat 3 different times his 3rd run the hook came unbuttoned and the jig came flying back right into the boat. Seen a few other BFTers on the water also.
[signature]
4 dozen???? Thats 48 fish!!! I was there yesterday and caught 12 between the two of us. What the heck am I doing wrong? We tried using the fish finder and jigged tubes, but never ran across a school that produced that many fish. 4 dozen fish is an epic day in my book.
[signature]
Location is the key to catching good numbers. I heard NETO caught twice that many. I seen him out there but never talked to him.
[signature]
What area were you in?
[signature]
48 fish, must have been a slow day for ya hey mike?[Tongue]
[signature]
We've had better day's. that's for sure
[signature]
Yes it was. Could of caught more if the second half of the day was better.
[signature]
Element, if it were anyone but MGB, I may question 48 fish.
As was already stated, for him, 48 is a slow day!
I'm ready to convert from fly fishing Strawberry to jigging,
if I could just sneak close to MGB's boat to see how he does it!
[signature]
You are welcome to join me anytime.

With the cooler air moving in the fish are starting to relocate.
[signature]
Just because you had slow day doesn't mean you need to hook my bows .[Tongue]
[signature]
Did anyone tell ya that the ice is in liguid form? You are three months early[Tongue]

[signature]
Wow sounds like you guys were really on the fish.I ve heard all the hype about the white tube jigs.I must admit i dont hav a clue how to fish it .Ill keep reading the posts maybee someday ill get it down
any pics ?
[signature]
I'm impressed. Bravo MGB!
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey MGB,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]It was good to see you and fishnpro40 again up there. We were right next to NETO and he did have a good morning. They had a real sweet spot and were constantly pulling in fish. We had a pretty good day, but it was not quite like Randy's. Our catching pretty much tapered off around 11ish and then we moved around quite a bit but never located another spot that was as good as our first one over by Randy.[/size][/black]
[signature]
We did have a really good day up there on Saturday! My cousin was with me in my 14' aluminum boat. We launched right at the Ladders before daylight, went out and found our spot and started fishing. Was a little slow at first but we stayed put and the schools kept coming around. Not many fish on the finder, but they would appear out of nowhere from the bottom. I think the fish are so close to the bottom that they don't show up on the finder. We would drop down to the bottom then raise it up about 2 inches is all and the "bump bump bump" would start. Very very light bumping is all we felt all day so we "set the hook" and missed many times, but a lot of those times we would hook a fish. We were each using two poles and I think I lost twice as many that way! Fishing was really good from 7:00 till about 11:00. Kent was out there fishing right next to us and we chatted with him a bit, we noticed they were catching pretty good also. Flyfishingforlife was there with a couple of guys but noticed they were not holding their poles right, or their hats were on backwards or something. They were doing all the right stuff, just not getting into the fish. Were you in your boat Mike? I didn't see it out there. We left around 11:00 or so. We didn't catch one rainbow, and had one really good cutt at 23.5 inches, and 2 others between 22 and 23. All others were in the slot. We each kept one to bring home for dinner. I tried to leave the fish in the water as much as possible this time and even filed the barbs off my a couple of hooks to aid in the release. What I found is that I lost a few fish if I let the line go slack (using the barbless hooks) and also that they do release a lot easier without that barb. I didn't de-barb all the hooks that I used, only a few, but I might be doing more of that in the future. We used standard tube jigs, tipped with minnows, but I have to admit, we sweetened some of them up with a secret that Kent told me about. I was skeptical but it worked! (no, it wasn't corn, or corn products...or even catfood!)
I also like those red hooked jigs, but I go thru a TON of them as the hooks seem to deform very easily.
We were fishing kind of towards the knolls in the northern(?) Ladders area along with about 2 dozen other boats. Everyone around us seemed to be catching fish.
My cousin threw a Kastmaster a couple of times, and actually had quite a few hits on it. Haven't had a hit on a spinner all summer.
Anyway, we really did had an extraordinary day!

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
We were having a pretty good day (nothing like Randy was doing however) until someone flipped the switch at about 10:30. There were three of us on my boat and we all landed between 15 and 20 fish. It was especially frustrating to have the biting end so abruptly because the guy who is in charge of turning on the wind at Strawberry at 11:00 AM overslept for about an hour and a half. We saw some fish on the finder after that, but got very few fish and only landed one other fish until we called it a day around 3:45 PM. I asked Randy (N.E.T.O) how many he had caught when they headed out and he said that he had caught his age (46) and his cousin had caught 42, which aint bad for a few hours of fishing. We also bent down our barbs, which undoubtedly contributed to a few lost fish, but it was well worth it, because of how much easier it is to release the fish. I have bent my barbs down often in the past and I believe that I will do it on almost all fishing trips from now on.
[signature]
Where you where fishing there where a group of boats around you then there was the group of boats at the ladders anchored right over the channel we where in between the two groups of boats. We where about 3-4 hundred feet to the south(?) of Kent.
[signature]
[black][size 3]We (Kent's boat) were almost directly between you and Randy. They were 100 feet or so (sometimes much less) just northwestish of where we were.[/size][/black]
[signature]