Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What size loads for my muzzle loader?
I picked up a used 45 cal. White and I'm not sure what load to use. I've been using 90 grain of Pyroddex P, with 460 grain "No Excuses" bullets. I'm doing OK at 50 yds with open sites but at 100 yds, I'm all over the place. I'm thinking about getting a red dot scope for the longer shots over 50 yds because I have a 1 power scope on my CVA muzzle loader and hate it. From what I've seen, a 1 power has less power than my regular vision, where as red dot just uses glass to project the dot or cross hairs on the lens. What do you guys think about the scope idea and the loads I'm using? WH2
[signature]
Curt, Try varrying your powder a little. Try 95 grains, then 100. see what it does. I think with a little experimenting you will get the desired patterning that you want.
[signature]
I went with the red dot scope last year and I like it. I'm still having a hard time grouping at 100 yards with the red dot. It's just too hard when the dot almost completely covers the target. However, I did shoot a buck last year at 130 yards. Went right through the vitals, lucky shot.
[signature]
I shoot a 45 cal. 195 grain PowerBelt AeroTip with 100 grains (2 pellets) of Hodgdon Triple Se7en powder behind it.

For shooting on paper I'd clean after every other shot up to 100 yards and clean after every shot over that and I had tight groups consistently.

I also put a red dot scope on my gun last year and I wont go back. I found that the better scopes will have adjustable dots either in size and/or brightness. That way you don't cover the whole target at 100 yards. I think it's worth spending a little extra $$ for a good scope; get what you pay for.

I do know a few people who have tried the PowerBelts and didn't like them. My brother shoots the Barnes Expander and Tipped mzs and neither one of us has had a deer go more than 15 yards before killing over.

Find what works for you.
[signature]
Thanks guys for all your input, one of my main concerns was my bullet and it sounds like you all use smaller grains. Where do you buy your Bullets? I think I'm going to make a trip down to Sportsmans to check on the price of a RED DOT scope, I was looking through one at the range that a guy was using, it had a choice of a circle with a big dot, a small dot by itself, or crosshair. I think he said he paid around $90, without rings or base. That is a good idea, cleaning after every shot, I was cleaning after the fourth shot because I wasn't sure it made a difference. I see a lot of you use the pellets instead of power, in truth, I'm just trying to use up what I have because it sounds like pellets are the way to go. Do you guys really think pellets work better or is it just easier to use out in the field? WH2
[signature]
I use pellets for convenience. The bullet will seat better with loose powder and you'll get a more consistent shot. Pellets can crumble and leave air gaps around them, causing the bullet to fire just a little bit differently each time.

I don't realy understand the logistics of it all but under 100 I didn't notice any difference at all. It was 150 yards and over that I could see any differences. But that was also with a fixed rest. Shooting free hand I drift a couple inches at those distances anyway no matter what I was shooting.
[signature]
Sportsamns and walmart both stock them all the time.
[signature]
If you do get a red dot scope, make absolute sure that you carry an extra battery when you are out hunting/shooting.
[signature]
+1
[signature]
x 10!
[signature]
I shoot a thompson center omega, and I use 130 grains of powder with a 250 grain barnes expander mz bullet. I sight my gun a little high at 100 yds and it is dead on at 150 yds, just a tad low at 200 yds. I shoot a 1x scope and you are right, it is less power than your eye. You need to look through all the 1x scopes you can because some don't cause as much "shrinkage" as others. I bought a sightron, it was the best scope I looked through. I don't like the red dots, but that is just a preference. I can group in a paper plate easily at 200 yds. I took this buck last year with my muzzy and the expander mz's performed well!
[url "javascript:void(0);"][Image: P1000492.jpg?t=1189566791][/url]
[signature]
Nice buck, how far away was it when you shot it? The cross hairs were the reason I bought my first 1x scope but now that the Red Dot scopes have cross hairs I feel like I'll be using a 2x scope because I won't be limited by the 1x. I did have one guy at the range recommend a peep site instead of a scope. That might be a good idea also because I know they can do the job, even though I have never used one on a muzzle loader. Do you know anyone that uses a peep site on their muzzle loader?
[signature]
Well I got my red dot scope and gave it another try, I was able to hit the paper at 100 yds but could not get it to dail in with any consistency. I talked to the maker of the "No Excuses" bullets that I'm using and he said these bullets are patterned after the original bullets that White made for the gun so I figured I would try one more time to sight in the gun before I give up on these bullets and go to sobots. I still don't know it I'm the one that is having the problem with being consistent or if it is the bullet, so the next time at the range I'll let someone else shoot the gun and see how they do. At least I'm hitting the paper at 100 yds now. This weekend will be my last chance to get it right, so if anyone has any last min info, let me know, thanks. WH2
[signature]
Not sure on the .45, mine is a .50.

I've tried making it a super rifle with the hornady sabots and 150 grains of pyrodex, but I could never get the accuracy.

I finally decided it's just a muzzeloader, and to not expect 300 yard accuracy out of it.
I settled on the 295 grain slugs, and 100 grains of pyrodex. Accuracy is very good out to about as far as I can see with a 1x scope!
Mine is a CVA also, with a 1x reddot scope. My scope can be green or red, with small dot, big dot, crosshair or circle shown in the tube. Does not project a laser beam. (that would be cool if it were legal!)

Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
I'm probably a little late on helping you Kurt since the season is just around the corner but I use peep sights on both of my guns. I have a remington and an Omega. Both have a fiber optic sight on the front and a Williams peep on the rear. I would get the smallest diameter front sight you can find and fit that with the peep and you will be set. The smaller the front sight the more precise your aim point.
As for what load to use I have found that each gun is unique. I have a few friends that all shoot muzzleloaders and we all shoot different bullets and powder charges. My remington likes 100 gr 777 and a 300+ grain bullet (preferably a conical) and my Omega likes 90 gr APP and a 250 gr shockwave.
If you just going after a deer you really don't need the 460 grain bullet. Go lighter and pick up some trajectory. Although with the 460 you could probably send one end to end on a deer and it would still exit.
Good luck and post some pictures if you get one.
[signature]
Hint4bigbucks,

Everything you said is right on with what I believe (powder and scope). I have tried the 90-100 loads and they are all over at 100 yards. Also, I like a little more "charge" when I hit a front shoulder.
[signature]
Thanks for all the comments guys, I never got out to shoot the gun that last time before we left for the hunt last Tuesday. I had a muzzleloader buck deer and a cow elk permit and would have taken a cow or a bigger buck had I got a chance but never did. Saw some small bucks and over 100 deer and twenty plus elk, including a very nice bull, one of the biggest we have ever seen on the South slope of the Unitas. My partner did take a two point on the last day we were there just to get some wild meat for the winter. We both would have rather shot one of the elk that we saw but they were gone before we even got off our ATV's[unsure]. I still need to do some more bullet workup on my muzzleloader but next year, I'll be putting in for a limited entry rifle permit. If I don't draw that permit it will be back to the muzzle loader bullet workup until I figure out the right load for my gun[Wink]. Now it's back to fishing, let's see, should I go to Willard or Bear lake next[crazy].
[signature]