Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hitting the Green
I am so excited. I have lived in Utah for over 15 years now and never made it to the famed Green River to fish. That is about to change. I have a friend who's family owns a boat on the Green with slip permissions. I have been invited to go down the end of October first of November to do some fishing. This is prime spawn time, but alas they don't fly fish (they chuck the hardware). So I appeal to you, the fly fisherman that have been there, what would be best this time of year. I am thinking streamers, but I don't know what kind works best. Anyone want to help a poor fisherman out? PM if you want.

katghoti
[signature]
[center][#005000][cool]Hi there katghoti - sent you a PM re this subject.[/#005000][/center]
[signature]
When fly fisherman talk about fishing the Green River they are almost always talking about fishing below the dam. The river above the reservoir is totally different than that below the reservoir or at least for the "A" section.

My friends would opt for floating the river below the reservoir in a pontoon boat. I would opt for walking the river.

But when you are with Romans do as the Romans do. Everyone will be happier.
[signature]
Below the resevoir I would say streamers and midges would be the ticket.

But the best information about what to use would be on Denny Breers website.

look on this page for the link to Trout Creek flies.

[url "http://www.westdenvertu.org/Photos/GreenRiverInfo/GreenRiverInfo.htm"]http://www.westdenvertu.org/Photos/GreenRiverInfo/GreenRiverInfo.htm[/url]
[signature]
[left]Small midges, think size 18, 20, 22.
Streamers and buggers are of course key on almost any water. I suck at throwing them but have had a few hits on cinnamon buggers on the A and B sections.
WD40's size 18, 20
Small BWO's
And if you spot fish that are sipping flies and they are ignoring everything in your fly box...tie on a big fat Dave's hopper and plunk it down in front of them. Has worked for me a time or two. [/left] [left]
[/left] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][/center] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=30502;][/center]
[signature]
[left][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there JamisJockey and thank you for posting that neat picture. I have a friend that fishes the Green quite often and is never disappointed. Here are a couple of this catches. BTW I edited the size of your picture so that it would fit the screen. I also lightened the shadowed area around your face. We ask that all pictures be limited to no more than 450 pixels wide. Thanks[/size][/green][/font] [/left] [center][/center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=30499;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=30500;]
[signature]
congrats on getting your chance to fish the green.. wish you luck.. I hope to see a report with pictures once you get back.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
My brother just finished a 5 day trip to the Green River. He lives in Telluride and took a drive with some friends for a trip. He had a great time as they fished the different sections. He made a blog post on our site He's done a lot of fly fishing trips, and he really seemed to enjoy this location.

[#bf0000]Hi and welcome to the BFT FF boards. Sorry that I had to edit your post but links to other FF forums are not permitted. We thank you for your interest.[/#bf0000]
Please remove the links to other forums from your signature, This is one of the few things we dont allow here,

if you need advertisment for your fourm please contact the people at the bottom of this page...
[signature]