Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Berry 10_10
With all this talk of the berry I couldn’t help but go up and see for myself what all this hubbub was about. Picked up Fishound about 5:30 and headed up. After a quick stop in Heber for gas and a Sonic breakfast burrito we were on our way.

Set the boat in the water just after 7 with a slight breeze and some slight chop. By the time fishound got back down to the dock I had already floated out of reach. The $%@#*& motor would not start. I of course didn’t have any starter fluid with me and after 20 minutes or so of trying to get back to the dock with my POS electric trolling motor fishound rounded up a rescue party and headed out to get me. We managed to get the boat back on the trailer and were lamenting the idea of fishing from shore when a couple of guys just heading out read the expression of disappointment on our faces and offered to let us come out with them. After a minute or two of discussion we took them up on the offer and away we went. It was the best decision we could have made.

We started drift fishing out around Haw’s point and started picking up fish fairly quickly on kastmasters and pointers. The wind never did let up and we were able to escape it for a few minutes when we would motor back into a little cove, however we eventually drifted back out into the famous strawberry chop each time.

A fast and erratic retrieve was the trick first thing in the morning however about 1030 or 11 we were fishing almost exclusively tube jigs SLOW and easy. Fishing stayed pretty steady all day and we boated well over 100 fish between the four of us with the occasional double and triple. We weren’t there looking for dinner so everything went back into the lake however I would guess that all fish were in the slot with a few going close or slightly over 22”

All in all it was a great day thanks to Loran and Gene who saved the day! Thanks guys! If you ever run into these guys on the lake be prepared to get worn out, they were both better than twice my age and worked me like a rented mule. [Wink]
[signature]
Did you guys just stay around Haw's point or did you venture anywhere else? I have noticed that the shoreline along Haw's point can be good shelter from the W$#*. Cant say that word because I am heading up to the Berry on Saturday and dont want that problem.
We just stayed right there along the shoreline, occasionally getting pushed out towards the middle. We fished the same area almost all day. We would park the boat in roughly the same spot and let it drift, head back to that spot and do it all over again. Fishing was good there and the guys we jumped in with didnt have a fish finder so we figured since we were on the fish there was no sense in moving until we quite catching, and we tired out WAY before we stopped catching![cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]And a fine outing it turned into ! [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]It started out a little on the sketchy side of things, as fishyfishyfish stated. But, with a little help from two sets of new friends, it improved dramatically from what looked like a long drive for nothing more than taking in some fall scenery. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]A big thank you is in order to the guys that helped tow the boat in. And another big thank you to the two very generous fellows that invited us to go out fishing with them in their boat (Lauren and Gene [sorry if the spelling of the names is off]).[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]We ended up having a great day on the water with great conversation and great fishing ![/size][/black]
[signature]