Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alert to a Fellow Canadian
Joco,

Under no circumstances should you buy a "Day Tripper" float tube!
[signature]
thanks for the warning.

BUT why...?

probleme whit that model..for big guys? other kind off model.?

thanks again

joco
[signature]
Joco,

"Day Tripper" has a reputation for blowing around like a sail. A friend of mine bought one at Bass Pro in Toronto for $50. The reason for the heavy discount was the difficulty in selling these tubes because of the bad reputation they had.

My friend had just pumped this thing up and was about to put it in the water when I arrived at the trout pond with my buddy who fishes from a Fish Cat. The Day Tripper was pretty much the equivalent of stacking the Fish Cat on top of my Fat Cat. It would definitely get you up out of tghe water but at the expense of being at the mercy of the slightest breeze. I suggested he deflate the thing and return it to Bass Pro.

"Day Tripper" is one of my favourite Beatle songs. Kind of Sad such a clunky tube was named with the same "moniker"
[signature]

jst one more little question.

there supose to be a new day tripper.....

the low proffile..

[url "http://www.flyboat.ca/...ripper_lp/index.html"]http://www.flyboat.ca/...ripper_lp/index.html[/url]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=30273;]

is it the same wit that one...??

thanks again.

joco
[signature]
hi nice to see a fellow canadian that have stuff in comon..

i have some kayak.canoe and boat now want some float tube..

plus i target carp a lot in long sault...so i would like to try that in the float tube to.

saw you on fly fishing site..[Wink]

nice blog to.

joco
[signature]
Joco,

I started with canoes and then went to kayaks. Nearly 8 years ago I bought my Fat Cat and have been tubing ever since. Floated the Saugeen River for smallmouth a couple of years ago in my "River Runner" kayak and after that experience knew I wanted either a pontoon or a sit-on-top kayak. I opted for the kayak to give me the option of paddling upstream and floating back down.

This June I floated using my Tarpon while my two friends used pontoon boats. When I saw one of my buddies controlling the drift of his pontoon with fins I started saving for the Fish Cat pontoon. I love fishing from all three as each has its own particular strength. Went back down the river in my "toon" in August and had a blast. In early October I went alone and paddled upstream in my kayak. Each trip was very enjoyable.

That "Day Tripper" is exactly the one I advised my friend to take back. If you look at the picture of the Pontoon Boat in the background and compare the pontoons on that to the pontoons on the Day Tripper, you will notice that there is no streamlining or rockering on the float tube pontoons. They also look pretty short. The good tubes like Fat Cats, Fish Cats ODC 420's and H3 Freestyles all look more like the rockered and tapered pontoons and are lower profile and definitely more efficient. Day Tripper is the only tube I've ever seen in two parts. It looks like the seat section is strapped to the pontoons. If you browse around the Internet you will not find many favourable reviews on the Day Tripper.

[url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_84260_175005002_175000000_175005000_175-5-2#reviews"]Bass Pro Reviews[/url]
[signature]
I bought a Daytripper and took it out in the wind on the ocean just to see what all the hype was about. I did come to the conclusion that the Daytripper is only a fairweather floatation device.

Not good for the wind under any circumstance.

You are right[cool]
[signature]
[reply]

Not good for the wind under any circumstance.

You are right[cool] [/reply]
What did you do with the darn thing?
[signature]
I still have it for use on NoN Windy days. I may be able to find a day next year becuase it won't happen this year
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I checked the link and put the picture of the "low profile" model in your post.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My personal opinion is that the "low profile" is in name only. That definitely does not fit my idea of something low. Those large flat sides are wind-catchers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Beware of what you read in advertising. Saying it does not make it true.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]FYI Joco,[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I hit a few sites on the net, checking on other peoples experiences with the craft, and find that there are just as many complaints about leaky bladders as there are about how it reacts in any windy conditions.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Several people had experienced bladder separation and leaking.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I hope that with all of these negative reports, you will be guided to make a good selection when you make your purchase.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[signature]