Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo River Frustrations
I give up! I've tried pretty much everything on the Provo River. I mostly have fished the lower provo section around the tunnel and entrance to Sundance and farther up the river from there. I have checked the boards multiple times and tried the flies, techniques that everyone else uses and I haven't had any success. It usually makes me resort to lake fishing which is great but I'm very interested in fly fishing.

Granted I am a beginner, but today after researching a lot online and looking for great spots I tried casting terrestrials, BWOs, Streamers, you name it and not a bite! Even more frustrating was I constantly saw fish jumping next to me grabbing insects. I know that the Browns are close to spawning and so they are supposed to be aggresive.

Is there anyone willing to teach a new dog some old tricks? I'm totally open to suggestions and desperate at this point. I've made sure that there's no drag on the flies and casting properly. If anyone would be willing to go out to the Lower or Middle Provo tomorrow morning or evening just email me at [url "mailto:kewishjl@gmail.com"]kewishjl@gmail.com[/url]

Thanks!
I fished the lower provo near sundance yesterday and killed them... I caught more then 25 in three hours, with a lot more misses... I am by no means an expert but I would be happy to help out, I just cant go tomorrow... I am going duck hunting in the morning and watching the red sox game in the evening... but I could go sunday or pretty much any day next week, if you are interested let me know... AJ
[signature]
[black][size 3]Don't feel bad about not doing well on the Provo. That's one stream that I have never felt any confidence on. I've had good and bad days, but never felt like I could drop a fly into it with positive results.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]100 years ago, I first fished as a guest with a friend. We used spinning rods and streamers with a large sinker to get it down. We landed fish until we were tired of casting and catching fish. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Years later, and several trips to the Provo, mostly unsuccessful, I tried fishing the rough water close to the canyon mouth. Using a fly rod and a heavy weighted stone fly, fishing only the pocket water behind rocks, I landed many large browns. That success didn't last long.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I still fish the Provo on occasion, using nymphs, probing the bottom, but never have the feeling that I'm going to do well. When there is a good hatch on, it makes it much easier, and can be quite productive. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I know that there are many local fly fishermen, who have the experience on the Provo, and fish it like it was a hatchery. They know the water, the fish, and most importantly, they know the insect life. Sounds to me like you have a chance to learn from someone who has done well, I would suggest that you get with him, and learn the river.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I agree with Saber. The Provo is or can be a very technical river. It gets pounded so hard, that the fish do get wise.
I do the best on the LOWER with an indicator and either nymphs like Copper Johns, Zebra's, Haresear, PT and even Princes, but don't forget to try SCUDS or SOWBUGS. That is the main diet at all times on the Provo. Just read up on nymphing. With an indicator (depending on how fast or slow the water is) you will want to at least go 1 and 1/2 the depth of the water on your leader. If it is 2' deep, then set your indicator at 3' to 4' up your leader and mend so the indicator is not being dragged by the line just as if it were a dry. I put split shot (BB) about 8" to 12" above my first fly. That seems to work the best for me.
I too fish the exact spot you are talking. In the evening right at the "Y" connection of the river BWO in 16 to 18 work killer.

[inline LowerProvobrown450.jpg]
[signature]
Hey I feel your frustrations I was hitting the middle Provo a few months ago for almost a week straight and caught maybe one fish. Like Flyfishig Goddess said the Provo gets allot of pressure and im to the opinion that they memorized every imitation fly pattern there is.

But keep at it after that week and some trial and error I do have a killer days and been catching some real nice browns.

Id suggest Use dropper rig with a hairs ear and a flash back sow high stick it and let the current bounce it off the bottom.

Or forget the Provo and hit the WEBER Smile
[signature]
I can relate, me and a buddy would fish this river and for some reason I could catch 20 and using the same stuff my buddy would get skunked. It took him about 4 trips until he finally caught a fish, he hates this river. I can never get him up to this water, although he has caught plenty of fish on the green which is just as technical. Keep up the good fight, I do fish this water in the winters when the crowds are down (hate combat fishing) sent me a PM if some Satruday you want to head out.
[signature]
The simplest advice is to go with someone who knows what they are doing so they can diagnose what you could be doing wrong. Even if you think you are doing everything right there could be some variable that is out of whack. As has been said, the Provo can be tricky at times and it can give you a skunk but if you do the right things you are bound to catch fish if you keep with it. If you have logged in many days with no fish then some variable is probably not right. Also, it helps to pick out a good hole and learn how to fish it instead of trying to take on the whole river by jumping around from spot to spot. Oftentimes people are not getting the flies deep enough. If you are not snagging the bottom fairly often you are probably not getting your flies down where they should be. Make sure your leader is long enough and you have sufficient weight. Change your weight before you start changing flies. Once you sure you are deep enough then you can start messing with fly selection. Drag fee drift is HUGE as well as setting the hook at the slightest twitch. Oftentimes a take from a fish will look just like you snagged the bottom, etc so don't get lazy...lift that rod at any sign of indicator movement. Anyway, that is my .02 cents, but I'd say the biggest thing would be to head out with someone who knows the river, or if you have the means, even a guide for a half day to show you the ropes. Good luck! Tight lines!
[signature]
Welcome to the board Fishergomes!

I always struggel to catch em on drys in that area. But nymphing the deep pools will always get you fish there. key is to have enough weight to get to the bottom.
[signature]
After holding out for a number of years, I recently switched my typical in-line nymph rig to a bounce rig. The difference with the bounce rig is that the weight is below the flies and the flies are tied off the main leader on short (2-4") droppers. When configured properly this is a great way to nymph deeper runs where many fish hold without spooking. I don't really like to nymph a whole lot (prefer dries and streamers) but switching to this rig was fun for me because it was something different and I was able to effectively fish water that I normally couldn't fish very well-- deep, slower runs. Here is an article by Larry Tullis where he details the bounce nymphing setup much better than I ever could: [url "http://flyfisherman.com/skills/ltbouncenymphing/"]http://flyfisherman.com/skills/ltbouncenymphing/[/url]
[signature]
Kinda like drop shotting... LOL
[signature]
Kinda. But MOJO weights aren't neccessary.
[signature]