Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New stuff?
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Has anyone ever wondered how the new lures [generically used term] can consistently get better results? There seems to be a daily barrage of new products better than those that came before. One would think that eventually they’ll make a lure that will get a strike on every cast provided there are fish in the vicinity. The same scenario can be applied to flies. I mean if a dumb trout will hit a piece of power bait how come it is so selective when it comes to striking out at a fly?[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][I have my own answer to this subject, just wanted to know what you all think.][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
...heres my two cents..

.. I would say over time the fish.. like any other creature.. become used to what is being presented to them.. just like you or I can build up an immunity to certain drugs.. if that is the case then to me it would make sense to continually research and if needed make changes (tweaks if you will) to adapt to the changes that the fish have gone thru..

for example, I just saw a show where one of the big lure companies has introduced a twin blade spinner bait.. the idea behind it is to (1) make more noise in the water and therefore attract the fishes attention.. this to a point is done anyway by adjusting the size of the fin.. the new one however adjusts the "height" of the wake the lure presents.. and therefore makes it look much bigger than it is..

.. as fly fishermen and/or tyers we (or ya'll) constantly adjust the size, shape, color, type fly to get the fishes attention and hopefully make it appealing to the fish.. I think this is our way of making the needed adjustment to what the fish have adjusted too..

.. other innovations such as lighter more responsive rods.. faster reels etc are simply advancement in technology in the persuit of making and fishing with the best equipment we can.. to get that slight advantage needed to hook into a wild trout or bass etc...
I also feel it is the industry realizing that not one type or flex or size or wt rod is an all purpose rod.. each angler has their own variances they have to deal with when they go fishing.. for example.. the lakes I fish dont have much room for the back cast. therefore a spey type setup will or should work .. but the spey is almost too much for that setup.. and therefore.. with feedback and questions and concerns etc and a company wanting to stay in business, the switch rods have come into the market..

bottom line.. its adaptation.. by the fish .. the angler to the fish.. the fly fishing companies to the demands of the angler.

MacFly [cool]
[signature]