Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod Modification
I have a Loomis rod that I need about four-five inches cut off the handle. Does anyone know a good craftmans that can modify this rod for me. Like I said this is a Loomis so I don't want any ol'hacker choppin up my rod. I want it to look just as good as if it came from the factory.
[signature]
You know, I've found some nice GLX rods (poles...[Wink]) that have the action and length that I'm looking for but the butt is way too long. I would really like to know if you find someone, shoot me a PM with the details. I'll take a look around see if anyone has the ability to do this.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I build most of my own rods. Since I fish almost exclusively from a tube, I usually make them with shorter handles...to keep them from hanging up on my clothes in confined conditions. Whenever I "acquire" a rod from another source I almost always shorten the handle. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is no big trick to cut off the end with a hacksaw. But, it does require some attention to detail to properly trim the butt and install a new butt cap. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PM me if you would like me to look at the patient and render an opinion...or perform surgery. There are quite a few BFTers who are fishing with rods I have repaired in my tackletorium. Best of all, I work cheap.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
If you make ANY modifications to a Loomis rod, you will void the warranty. Is it really worth it? If it is, it's quite easy to cut a rod blank. Just use a new fine cut hacksaw blade, get a new rod butt cap and trim the foam handle to fit the new cap.
[signature]
beerman is right, dosen't seem worth it to do with a loomis. I build allmost all of my rods. I can cut the rod, cork, reels seat, you name it. I can even make the cut to replace the butt cap. let us know what you decide on the loomis. OR, maybe we can make a trade, I could build a custom cabelas fish eagle ll blank and cut it to what ever size you want and what ever action and wieght. in trade for your loomis, IF I like it enough. what action and wieght is your loomis, spin, or cast ? later chuck
[signature]
What kind of pole bait cast or spin and how long?
[signature]
7'11" swimbait rod. I need the soft-tip heavy action rod for what I do. The butt section is just way too long. Maybe it isn't such a big deal and I should just hack it off.
[signature]
Dude, that would be an out right crime to cut down a swimbait rod. Chances are, it won't be what you're looking for. Sell it or trade it for something else. I have several Loomis rods. What are you looking for the rod to do?
[signature]
how long is the but handle
[signature]
The rod works just fine for big swimbaits, but the handle is 15 inches long. It is made for throwing baits 3-6oz. I know a 7'11" rod sounds long, but the rod itself isn't any longer than a normal flippin stick. It just has an extra 4-5 inches on the butt, which is a real pain in the butt.

I thought about selling it and just going back to my normal flippin sticks, but they can't handle the load that a 4oz bait generates.
[signature]
If you do decide to shorten it, wrap some masking tape around the area you want to cut it to, mark it and use a Dremel mototool with a high speed cut off wheel. Have someone help you hold it and take your time.
[signature]
[black][size 3]A sure way to assure a clean cut, is to mark it, and score around the outside of the blank with a small 3-cornered file.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[size 3]You can even use the file for the cut off tool if you don't have a electrical tool.[/size]

[size 3]I have used this method on many rod blanks, and golf club shafts with good results.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]