Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amelia Island Surf Fishing
Well first and foremost let me apologize for yet another beginner thread. I'm going to Amelia Island over Thanksgiving and would like to do some surf fishing. I bought a shakespeare rod thats 7ft. I need to buy a reel soon and would like something relatively cheap. The last one I got must have sand in it and refuses to turn now. I plan on getting a cheap bait cast reel. Judging from other posts I assume I should get a 3-4oz pyramid and place it about 3-4ft from my hook. I will be using squid most likely. I have a problem with casting though as the bait never wants to stay in and gets ripped off by the inertia created by the weight. Any recommendations on a rod new line etc would be greatly appreciated thanks guys for going through the trouble of reading the post.
[signature]
Welcome to Big Fish Tackle and thanks for the question.

I have found from experience that a longer rod does better in the surf than some of the shorter ones. It allows you to cast or lob your offering out there a little easier without the hassle of losing your bait.

I would recommend a 10 to 13 foot rod as opposed to the shorter 7 foot rod. 15 to 20lb test would be sufficient for most of the species in that area.[cool]
[signature]
Thank you for the response. I was wondering what kind of reel you would recommend I'm going to try and get a new rod as well if its cheap. I'm not looking to spend too much money.
[signature]