Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building a casting rod from a spinning blank (tube dude?)
I have a friend that will sell me a g loomis glx blank for a good price. here is a link:

[url "http://www.gloomis.us/ProductInfo.aspx?id=3079131&categoryid=20827"]http://www.gloomis.us/ProductInfo.aspx?id=3079131&categoryid=20827[/url]

I've been wanting to build/buy a rod for casting light weight lures with a baitcasting reel. I know that tube dude and a few others have done this.

So my question is, do you think this blank will work well, or should I get a longer length, different action, etc. ?

Thanks in advance
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I love throwing light jigs on a light baitcast rod. If you get a good light reel, with quality innards and adjustability, you can spool up with 6# line and throw jigs as light as 1/16 oz. Even better is the feel while retrieving and the control when you hook a larger fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At one point, not being able to find light casting rods, I built 4 at a time on 7' light spinning blanks. I also like a fast action for pitching the light jigs. Since then, I have built several on six foot blanks and love them all. That blank would be an ideal starting point. Depending upon your physical size and what kind of fishing you do, you may never lust after a longer or shorter rod.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The blank you linked should work great for what you have in mind. All you have to decide is what kind of reel seat you want, what kind of material for the handle, how long, and how many guides of what type.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have never built a rod, I would be happy to help you put together the components and help you build it. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sounds good. I just bought a dawia sol which is a small light reel.

I've built a few rods, but I orded kits so I dont really know how to pick components. I saw these on the cabelas websight though:

Handle kit: 6.5" handle
[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0036491318917a&navCount=1&podId=0036491&parentId=cat20366&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20366&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20366&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/...20366&hasJS=true[/url]

guide kit: 6-7' rod
[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat410035&id=0003626314642a&navCount=28&podId=0003626&parentId=cat410035&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat410035&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/...10035&hasJS=true[/url]

What types of things do you consider when you select handles and guides?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I like Daiwas too. They make some good light models. I would LOVE to have a couple of those bitty bits that are only about 6 oz. but cost $100 per oz. Too rich for my blood at this point.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching a PDF file for the writeup I put together for the folks who attended our last rod building seminar. Maybe "too much information" but maybe something you can use.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The handle kit should work. However, the guide kit shows mostly single foot guides. Better to get the double foot casting guides for that rod. But, some guys like the single foot better. A matter of personal preference. Also, be sure you have enough guides, without having too many? How many is enough? Look at some of your other rods and go by how they feel with the number of guides they have. Sometimes on a lighter rod you should add a guide or two to help disperse the "torque" better. Two few guides, too far apart, can cause your light casting rod to rotate so that the tip top is pointing down instead of up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I choose the components for building a rod for me, I tend to buy shorter rear handle sections than some folks. But, I fish a lot from a tube and do not like long handles. I also like the feel of a shorter handle when casting and fighting fish. If you buy a handle kit, you can always shorten it but you can't lengthen it. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You will also have to separately order the 4.5 tip top. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks TD, I'll check out the write up. Apparently cabelas was selling the sol's for 119 to make room for the new models. Im Sad to say I paid quite a bit more.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It's only money...right?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A good reel is a fishing buddy for life. How can you put a price tag on that?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff](Hint...spouses can)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
that loomis is a very nice spin jigging rod, it should make a fine casting rod. just make sure you get the spline turned right. I think loomis markes the spline at the factor. I've built 3 loomis rods and all 3 were marked. I hope that price listed under the pic is not what your going to pay for it. thats a little much. I only paid 127 for a gl3 mahogany finish loomis blank. If you need any help, rod building is what I do, I'd be more than happy to help. later chuck
[signature]
No, im getting it a lot cheaper than that. After looking at tube dudes links though, it looks like that handle is over priced. Has anyone fished a cabelas xml-ti rod? Is the handle really that special?

Tube Dude- I was thinking of doing a decorative wrap, do you have any write ups for those?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I can do some creditable diamond wraps, but I quit that a long time ago when I discovered that it just took longer to get the rod on the water...and it really does not help catch more fish. Just something to look at when the fish aren't hitting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In truth, utwalleye is the master on BFT for doing fancy finishes on custom rods. Attached is a pic of some of his work. And, if you go over to the BFT board on [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=7;"]ROD BUILDING[/url], he is a moderator and you can probably get a lot of good help over there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PS...I have also attached a video file to show how the diamond wraps are made. cool.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can also do a search engine lookup on "Making fishing rods" or "Rod wrapping" and you can find a lot of stuff.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'm building a cabelas xml casting rod right now, not the ti though.
I also have a bunch of decorative instruction write ups and pics. I also have a book by dale clemens on wrapping. that pic/instruction
that TD posted is one the more easier wraps to do. the most important step in decorative wrapping rods is you measurments, they have to be very accurit (sp) or the wrap will not close right and the wrap will not look good. later chuck
[signature]
Hey ebass, here's a pic of a wrap I just finished wrapping, it has no color preserver of flex coat yet, just thread right now so the color is not as bright looking as it will be when the finish is applied. this wrap is alot more involved then the fish wrap. later chuck
[signature]
Impressive work. It looks like you may have done that once before. [Wink].
[signature]
thanks fish4fun, to tell the truth this is the first star wrap I've done. I done other wraps that start out like the star but goes in another direction and becomes a square. on my next wrap I'm going to try the spider wrap, a 8 point star in other words. we'll see if I can keep my lines straight on that. later chuck
[signature]