Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips to better casting
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Apparently we all can learn something new or forgotten. This STICKY will hopefully play on the skills of our more seasoned fly fisher people to contribute to the learning of us less gifted fly casters. Let me start the ball rolling. Here is a chart that illustrates the use of the proper leaders/tippets:[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=30954;][/center]
[signature]
...is that last chart what would be used if you were making up your own leaders??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Plus there is no way I would use an 8X. 7X is scary enough. I use 6X on my 32's. and 3X on my #2[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
:-)... does that mean I am right that the last chart is one that is used to create your own leaders.. [Smile]

..plus you taught me a long time ago that 3x is the largest I should go and 5x the samllest.. but the most of the flies I would use would fall in the 3x or 4x range...

now with that in mind.. wasnt there a quick formula you used to tippet to fly size.. something like the size of the fly divided by 3 and the answer would tell you what size tippet to use..

i.e. # 6 or #8 fly would use a 2x tippet for example (but is better to round up to 3x).. whereas a #12 fly would use a 4x tippet..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The fact I use Flourocarbon and it is invisible, On small flies I will use the biggest I can get through the hole. I ten make a surgeon's loop to maintain movement in the fly.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]On bigger hooks I like a challenge so I general use 4lb or 6lb which would be 5X and 3X. Plus If I find an underwater tree, I want the tippet or leader to break first.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][size 4][cool][green]I don't have any 8X tippet. Might as well use 8/0 tying thread. On my light wt spinning system I have two spools - one with 4lb and the other 6lbs. I would use a 2 lb tippet and a 4lb respectively. Oh BTW I know that I said a no-no back there. "I will go to my room after this post." I will use 6X or 7X with my 3wt rod. And no I won't use a 7X where I know there are some hidden dangers. Then again now that I can tie my own flies if I lose one then it is a learning experience. [Wink][/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
Alright, believe I've seen enough, [crazy] lol , 'bout ready to take me a break from this study and go worm catch me a fish, with blue well I guess it is line, and some of those lead thingys [Image: whistle.gif]
[signature]
how you gonna learn to fly fish if you keep going back to the WORM??

MacFly
[signature]
Just all the study had worked up an appetite and aint about to catch anything but a cold with a fly setup yet.

Is it fair, say there is this trout just sitting there at the surface, and I have a flyrod, to just whack him with it, it would be a flyrod, could I come back here and say "hey look at my first trout with a flyrod !!" ?? , post a pic and stuff ?? really anxious to get going, gonna snow soon. thanks, BFS
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]It wouldn't be good sportsmanship to hit a duck with your shot gun now would it?[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
OMG !! , was that bad too ?? [shocked]
[signature]
[signature]