Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mystery bigfish in Santa Monica
[center][url "http://www.tacklethief.com/images/tomfight.jpg"][Image: MESS3307CustomImage2324358.jpg][/url][/center]Went out to fish the local strand at Santa Monica with the FishingDentist this evening. I was throwing a 3" Bass Pro Tripple Ripple grub in motoroil on a carolina rig with a 4lbs flouro leader. It was the usual scene for the most part with some perch (up to 10") and a YFC thrown into the mix.

That is until I get a hit and my 6lbs P-Line starts peeling off of my reel. As soon as I thought "big fish" the hook came unbuttonned. I casted out for a few more perch and I get a hard hit again farther out from the perch. At this point, all of my 6lbs P-line runs out of the reel down to my 12lbs fireline backing (for extra capacity and cheaper topshot replacement). The fish just keeps going until I see the metal spool on my 2000 sized Shimano Biomaster. At this point I palm my spool and bring it to a halt. Luckily the fish decides to cooperate and stops along with my spool. For a while I managed to bring it in an inch at a time, the fish seemingly running out every inch of line that I thought I gained.

I got to a point where I got all of my backing back and the fish takes another hard charge. SNAP! The line broke at the leader connection to the swivel. It was an awsome fight nonetheless. The fish didn't headshake or anything so I'm guessing that it was a ray. Interesting catch on grubs (I'm sure the anchovy smelly jelly didn't hurt). After that I got another fish on that hit and just ran out ALL of my line. The main line snapped this time. This last fish didn't even give me a chance to fight it. It was a blast!!!!

Tom
[url "http://www.tacklethief.com"]www.tacklethief.com[/url]
Great Report master6777,

Sorry to hear ya lost da big un! Nonetheless sounds like a great day!!!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator