Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Icefishing Report- 12/9/07
[size 1]We traveled up to Firehole Canyon yesterday and found hardeck, 3-4 inches, all the way down to Lost Dog. The roads were pretty good, with some areas of snowpack from last weekend's storm.

We fished next to a couple of anglers out of Rock Springs, just off the Firehole boat launch. They had already thrown some burbot on the ice when we showed up and had the technique down. We fished from 4:00-8:30pm, and caught 9 burbot. They left around 6:30pm after catching 11 burbot, which they generously offered to us. We fished pretty shallow, from 17-24ft, off the first rocky point leaving the marina. Fish were caught using 1/4-3/8oz tube and curly tailed jigs in white and glow-n-the-dark tipped with sucker meat. We frequently recharged the glow jigs with an LED light and changed out sucker meat to keep the bait fresh. We also used scents including fish oil and Smelly Jelly (anchovy and shrimp) to entice fish.

The burbot appeared to move through, offering strikes every 20-30 minutes. Light jigging and dead-sticking were effective. Some fish actually came in suspended, about 4ft off the bottom and dropped down to hit the bait. Most of the bites were extremely aggressive, much more than I noticed last year. They've also put on some length and ranged from about 15-28 inches.

We filleted the fish this morning and opened up their stomachs. These things are "pigs", with as many as a dozen crayfish in some, and several smallmouth bass up to about 5 inches in length. We also saw one small burbot in a stomach.

Hit the ice, put some burbot on the deck, and have fun removing these predators from the lake! Hope it helps, Ryno [/size]
[signature]
Hey awsome report! Thanks for posting, I would have never guessed that there would be ice up there yet. I have never ice fished the gorge before. Is there usually ice up there by now? I also have never fished for burbot. Do you catch other fish when you target the burbot?

I am planning on making it out there at least once this year. And I will target the big macks first, but I have never caught a burbot so they are on the list to.

Any pics?
[signature]
Another great report Ryan, it sounds like you guys got into some good hard water burbot action. Did the guys you fished by say when they had arrived? We are thinking about coming up there but were hoping to start earlier in the day because of the long drive up and back. Do you think the burbot could be caught during the middle of the day. Thanks for all the great info.
[signature]
nice.... thanx for the report...[Wink]
[signature]
It iced up about the same time last year. It may take longer for the rest of the reservoir to cap over. Firehole is the inflow and Green River keeps that part of the pond cooler. Forecasted highs are below freezing the next few days, so the ice will probably continue down lake.

We didn't catch any other species while targeting burbot. Last year, we picked up some lakers with the same approach, but it was much later in the season. We've also caught some bows in the same area, fishing with smaller jigs, flies, and jigging spoons. They're there though, and I believe some of the fish we saw up higher on the graph could've been bows. I'll attach a pic of some fish we caught while it was light out. I forgot (due to the cold) to snap another before we packed up and headed home.

Good luck, Ryno
[signature]
I think they said they got there about an hour before us, so around 3pm. I was really surprised they caught burbot that early in the evening, let alone that many. From what I saw last year and after talking to other anglers that have gotten into them, the bite doesn't usually start until after sunset or in the morning before sunrise. Maybe we just lucked into an early "dinner time". If you aren't catching them during the middle of the day at those same depths, maybe you could try moving deeper. I'm not sure though and would hate for you to drive all the way out and not ice a few because it's the wrong time of day.

The angler we spoke to as we were leaving, said he would camp out and fish all night long last winter. According to him, they bite through the night. Something about camping on the ice gives me the chills though.........

Good luck if you make the trip! Ryno
[signature]
Nice report and picture, I think camping on the ice is fun we put bells on the poles and a rope so big ones can't pull the pole down the hole...
[signature]
man we cant keep any secrets up hear lol nice report ryno ya it has been freezeing for over a week so I guess lost dog will be next we hit it last night and did ok we got 37 by 9pm the water temp was [url "mailto:34@lost"]34 @ lost[/url] dog and 37 @ buckboard so it will take another week or two to ice up Iam worried we cant move around like we can in the boat so will it be as good or will it be tuff hope not we used yammamoto 4'' grubs in glow and radical glow 5'' with an inch of tail cut off with fresh sucker and chub meat and a dash or crawfish smelly jelly the crawfish really helps use put more in the cooler i think 1 trip with out it and I noticed a hell of a difference we did manage a couple around 28'' but for the most part 18''-26'' was the norm well good luck all and we will see you on the ice ASH oh we did the best last night from 28ft-37ft took use a while to find them in that deeper water.
[signature]
Man, you're a burbot slayer! You're definitely having fun doing you're part! I think you should change your online name to Lingley instead of Fishley. Whenever your name comes up the first thing that pops in my mind is Ling.

We need to hook-up on the ice. I'm anxious to increase my catch rates and it appears you have the recipe. Thanks and nice report, Ryno
[signature]
Yea, it sounds like it might not be worth it unless we spend the night there or at least get a motel and get some rest after we have had enough or caught enough. Thanks again for the info Ryan.
[signature]
Hey Ash, are burbot easy to mark on your finder? Do they show up in large groups or just singles? Thanks for the help.
[signature]
it is hard to see them in the rocks with a graph and some times like ryno said yo will see one come in high and come down and wack u but for the most part you are blind an aqua view would be the only way to watch them very well you guys these are the dumbest fish in fg and are easy to catch but yes it is a night time thing for sure we did get a few last season before dark but not even close to what went on after dark ash
[signature]