Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody targeting eyes through the ice?
What location and what tactics will you use?
[signature]
mittingan, wearing mittins, talking mit-n for president. usin tip ups, live minnows, jigging pimples and rapallas....
[signature]
i might give it a go down to lincon when it caps good. cicida and a heddon sonar tipped with pertch eyes or fins. you thinking about trying eyes in winter? think they are hard in summer just wait. lol. moore get caught by accident threw ice in this state. with this tip up thing going now that will soon change. you gona tiger hunt this winter? i wana try that. or pike at yuba. never done either. gorge wont be long either. ya man big macks threw 10 inch holes.[cool]
[signature]
Yeah, gonna do the tiger thing, wanna do the eye thing, and ABSOLUTELY have to get a big mack![cool]
[signature]
Jiggin pimples tipped with minnows through the ice..... aaawww yeah. Eyes don't have a choice.. they just gotta eat em up. Find a nice hole, try to stay warm and just start pulling emm out.
[signature]
the most inportant thing about ice fishing eyes is the location. you can be 10 feet away your friends and not get a bite, beleve me I learned this from experince at statvation a few years ago. I was 10 feet away from my friends and they had caught 7 eyes in about 10 minutes and I didn't get a bite and I was using the same color jig and the same bait. I moved closer and started to catch some.
afternoon is the best time and the bite is short lived, only about 1 to 2 hours. walleyes like to feed up on deep humps. later chuck
[signature]
Icefishing hint....

If the ice is somewhat clear be sure to keep big movements down to a minium. The ice can act like a big magnifying glass and the walleyes spook really easily.
[signature]
starvation has open water to 5inches of ice depending where you are at not enough to get to the spots i wanted to fish. should have thick enough ice by the first of the year to fish the whole lake.
[signature]
how mutch ice in front of the dam? if you have been past.
[signature]
open water on the east side of the dam,lake is up so the prop killer is under the ice and open water on the sand bar just across from the PK. open water around the bridge also. fog at the berry driving out still open water.
[signature]
a good way to HUNT for the eyes is to get out and start drilling holes before you even put a rod down. drill yourself plenty enough holes for the whole day and pay attention to your sonar.
if suspended fish are located but will not bite try finding a hump that is the same depth of the fish. in other words if the fish are at 25ft suspended try fishing and 25ft of bottem. during the daylight hours you can use the pre-drilled holes to search out your fish and make note of any fish that will not bite, and when daylight comes to close if the bite wont hit try going back to these fish. they may have started feeding latter in the day.
another good tip is the size of your presentation. non-active fish will sometimes take advantage of a smaller lure say a 1/16 cicada or even a panfish jig. when i fished on ocean lake this past weekend i whent with a RATSO' by customs jigs and spins and nailed plenty of perch and three walleye in less than an hour. even though i was actually chasing the crappie
[signature]