Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pine Island Sound
It has been very busy for the last month, with some of the best Tarpon fishing of the season. The backcountry fishing required a little more hunting for the fish, but when I found them they were in numbers I haven't seen all season. In some of the holes that usually hold a few fish to a dozen, there would be fifty fish. The next two holes, no fish. Obviously these fish were getting ready to move, most likely up into Charlotte Harbor. The redfish have also made an appearance, showing up thick. On several of my favorite flats, seeing over 100 fish has been quite common, with several flats having 4 times that. The reds, even though they are here in big numbers still present a challenge to the fly angler. On an early morning incoming the fish have been moving in waves across the flats. On the flats that I have patterned the movement of the fish, I know with in 100 yards where the fish will enter it. I will get in line with our imaginary fish trail and stake the boat up. If I have two anglers, one will wade. Generally when the fish are moving in the manner they have been, it is best to wait for the fish to come to you. This also keeps us quite and lets up prepare for our shot on the fish, since we can see them a long way off. <br><br> <br><br>Sarah and I will be leaving on the 28th. for Colorado for 8 weeks for some trout fishing and elk hunting. This is a tough time of the year to leave with the fishing being so good, but from the reports that I am getting from CO the fishing is excellent. My fishing reports will still be updated with reports from CO. I will be able to be reached by email or by phone, and I will return your message with in a day or two. <br><br>Tight lines, <br><br>Scott <br><br><br><br>