Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUPER LINE
I THINKING ABOUT GETTING BRAIDED LINE ......ALSO WOUNDERING IF THEY WOULD CUT MY FUJI GUIDE THANKS FOR ANY INFO [cool]
[signature]
[cool]Spectra should be no problem for Fuji or any other brand of SIC, Hardloy or whatever guides. Indeed, I have heard of very few problems with ordinary stainless guides, but I hardly ever use those anymore anyway.

If your using Spectra as your main line (not just as backing) I'd probly go with SIC (Silicone Carbide) because it's harder & smoother than just about anything else.

edit: Ya might wanna have a look at the AFTCO lightweight roller guides. I haven't tried them yet but lots of people really like 'em.

Fishslayer
[signature]
Hey again halibutralph,

I'm thinking you're wanting to use these lines like I do on fish under a 300lb tuna. I'm using Fireline, Spiderwire, PowerPro, Ironsilk as a main line and fluorocarbon material as leaders for fishing from both my float tube and the open-party boats I ride for the usual species inshore.

As stated, you should not have a guide problem. There's lots of pros and cons on the choice of these new lines with the co-polymer, co-filiment, gel-spun construction so it pays to focus on if you're going to use the stuff to do mostly a drop or drift or cast fishing. For casting, Ironsilk wins hands down but it can't be called a true braid like spectra.

There are some knot and splicing issues with these lines but I think that's a bit overated problem when using this stuff with fish that are NOT the gorilla tuna, i.e. 10 or 20lb fish.

A well tied knot holds a lot better than a fancy knot not tied properly. Experiment.

JapanRon
[signature]
THANKS FOR THE INFO I USUALLY ONLY FISH THE PIER BUT OFTEN GET TAKEN TOWARDS THE PILINGS DURING WINDY WHEATHER I MIGHT NEED TO USE HEAVIER SINKERS
[signature]
You shouldnt see much problem until you have put many years on the rod. Of course the braided lines will be harder on the guides than fused lines like fireline. But if you really want to protect your investment, you can forget your coated fugi's and get silicone carbide guides. They will hold up to the nsatiest braids no problem.
[signature]
[cool]You'll be amazed at how much less weight you'll need to hold bottom. 1/4 to 1/3 the lead. The zero stretch also means you'll feel EVERY nibble. I regularly fish 300 ft with 80# Spectra & 1# or 2# of lead and can actually feel every little peck & tug.

The Uni splice & knot is all you'll need for most inshore stuff.

A note. If you're just pier fishing ya might want to use a dacron or mono backing with 150 yds of the Spectra on top. No need to have $50 worth of line that'll never get wet. Wink
[signature]

Back again halibutralph,

Fishslayer's good points reminded me of what I had forgot to mention. One, the diameter/line test of most of the braids and co-whatevers are off the scale. Example: Power pro's 30lb has the diameter of an average mono's 6lb test. The point is that a thinner line diameter means less resistance, thus the currents or swing will not cause the line to be carried as much as thicker diameter lines. Two, some and I say some of the braids have a density heavier than saltwater as opposed to freshwater. They don't float like most monofiliment.

I don't know what kind of a rod you're using for the pier but if you have a stout carbon or boron composite rod, not only will it give you good lifting power but you can use the FULL ADVANTAGE of sensitivity that a no stretch line and a carbon composite rod could give you. With that, you could feel an anchovie burp or somethin'.

JapanRon
[signature]
HalibutRalph

BUY A FLOAT TUBE!!!!!

BIG AND SMALL KILL EM ALL

AARON[b]
[signature]
[cool]Sorry guys, I couldn't keep Aaron over on the float tube board. If only he was a bit more outgoing.

And, Aaron, whazzup with this KILL KILL thing? Are you the "terminator" of fishkind. Now, if you are talking about PETA members, I think you can get a pretty good following.

Just a warning Ralph. We're out ta get ya.
[signature]
YOU GUY'S MIGHT LAUGH BUT I'M NOT TO SURE WHAT KIND OF ROD'S THESE ARE ONE SAY'S LIGHTING STICK AND THE OTHER I BELIEVE IS A REAL SABER HEY THEY REALLY WORK GOOD SO I HAVEN'T THOUGH ABOUT GETTING ANY NAME BRAND RODS ALTHOUGHT I HAVE THE BEST ROD I THINK THATS THE UGLY STIK BUT I DON'T HAVE A REEL FOR IT I WANT TO GET A PENN SPINNING REEL BUT HAVE TO WAIT FOR MY TAXES TO COME IN IF ANYONE KNOWS WHO MAKES LIGHTING STICK CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS FISHERMEN RULE WERE #1 HEY BY THE WAY MY CAR LOOKS COOL NOW WITH MY BFT STICKER THANKS TO THE ANGLER HE'S ONE COOL DUDE[cool]
[signature]
welllllllllll

The whole kill thing is I would have to say to kill PETA supporters, all but Pam Anderson, and to Kill the yellows and cuda on the iron.

FLOAT TUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big (Yellows and cuda) and small(PETA) kill em all!!

Aaron
[signature]
[cool]A 60's or 70's Sabre is as good a name as yer gonna get. I have several, & another is turning on the drier as we speak.[Wink] No worries about nicks & dings with an old heavy wall Sabre. Hell, run over it with yer truck! It don't care![cool]

Fishslayer
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Ralph, a "lightning stick" is any graphite rod you hold in the air during a thunderstorm. Take a hit and it will "light up your life".

On the other hand, Berkeley makes a series they call "Lightning Rods". I have a couple of smaller ones I use for bass in fresh water.
[signature]
my momma alway told me I was varry attractive, there must be some truth to it, I have been hit twice by lightning.[sly] [center]true story[/center]
[signature]