Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Port Aransas Tournament
[center][size 2][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=25822"][Image: winner.gif][/url][/size][/center][center][#ff0000][size 2]4-19-03[/size][/#ff0000][/center]

[size 2]Well, it was one for the history books. I got to meet ssor, windy and a few other members. I took my wife and daughter with me and we all had a blast. The weather was perfect and the fish was biting, for me anyway.(secret bait FISH BITES). Ssor and windy are really nice folks and should be comended and congratulated for all the work they put into this event. They were getting people to sign up for the event and telling them all about our message board. Even though it was free you still have people who just could not believe that all you had to do was sign a slip of paper and drop it in the cup and win a prize. Windy drew names every 15 minutes and someone won, simple as that. We had a lady volunteer (I can’t remember her name) who worked the far end of the jetty, and did a great job.

We had some exciting action. I hung into o’l Ned and fought him to the rocks but got my line cut on the rocks. I never saw the fish but it was nice and strong. The man fishing next to me was asleep at the reel and got his surf rig pulled out of its holder and into the water. He forgot to loosen his drag a little. I cranked my rig in, bent the prong around on my spider weight and proceeded to follow the run away floating rod down the jetty. I hooked it one time and started reeling the rod back to the jetty. The fish felt the resistance and took off, pulling my weight loose from the rod I had hooked. I continued to follow the rod until it popped back up and I caught it again. This time I reeled it very slowly and got it to the rocks. Ssor was on the rocks, grabbed the rod and handed it to it rightful owner. Then the fight was on. After a while he got the fish to the jetty. It was a monster stingray. But as he was pulling the ray up to hand, the 50# mono snapped and the ray was gone.

Well, when all the numbers was tallied, I came out on top. I had nine fish. I got the prize for total number of fish and the total length measurement and also the prestigious award for first hard head landed.

My wife and daughter both won t-shirts, beach chair and a sand bucket and shovel. I went home with a couple of t-shirts, caps and visors, a 6’ graphite casting rod and last but not least, I won the new computer.

All in all I guess you could say it was a productive fishing trip. Ssor took lots of pictures and will get them posted when he gets back home. I am looking forward to next year’s event.

FISH ON BROTHA,[/size]
[signature]
I have to agree with your comment that the day was a blast! Thanks for posting the details as I have been trying to locate my pic's on my digital cam. They did not stay in the memory and are lost. I am glad that most pic's for the event wher taken on the 35mm cams that I and Wendy brought just incase of failure of the new digital I had.
I still have to get them developed before I can post some for the world to see.
I expect I will be posting some next week.
It wes a pleasure to host the Tournament for all that attended the event.
We ended up with 39 guests and members that signed up for the event along with allot more that spectated the event.

I am sure I got a pic of you working o'l Ned. As we did not get to see the fish before the line found the sharp edge of the grannit rocks, We can only guess what was on the other end of your line. Many Sad faces came when your line got cut by the rocks. Just Think you would have had the full house if you had landed it! as it would have landed you two more prizes with the heavyest fish caught and the longest too.
You are a true angler and a great sportsman!
I look forward to have you join us next year for the next event. I am already working on it so it will be bigger and better then this years event was!
Congradulation on winning the Members drawing for the new computer. I will be sending you some programs for your youngen to help her grow into the computer world in style, I will add some games for the family also. I hopr to have them headed your way this next week.

Remember to keep us posted on your adventures down there around South Podre. Keep letting every one down there about our great playground here at BFT!
[signature]
Lily will be happy to know she is going to get something she can use on the computer.So far she just listens to a cd on it and tries to play pinball.She is ready for the next tournament but she thinks it should be every weekwnd.My wife even enjoyed it.I would have felt a little bad if I had have caught the big fish and won everything.i have done that once before and never heard the end of it from the other anglers.I'm glad to hear you made it back OK.Long Drive.

FISH ON !
[signature]
FANTASTIC ! THE WHOLE ADVENTURE , JUST SIMPLY FANTASTIC ! THANKS , I REALLY ENJOYED READING ABOUT YOUR GOOD LUCK IN THE CONTESTS AND YOUR GOOD FISHING DEED . I'M GLAD YOU GUYS FINALLY GOT HOOKED UP , SSOR'S A ONE OF A KIND , IS'NT HE ?
[signature]
the game i love that amarican bass
[signature]
It just seems to fit in well this day and time.
[signature]
Thanks for the kind words. I am a bit slow in answeriing but after 14 days gone it has taken a few days to catch up here. I have never helped to plan aor carry out any event in my 60+ years that was so much fun. It was great to meet you and yur family as well as the others in attendance. I wish we had something like this here in southern Ohio so I could participate rathner than organize. Say hi to the family and maybe we will fish together again.
[signature]