Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what would be a good live bait?
what would be a good live bait for Musky? Thanks..
[signature]
Big Minnows
[signature]
Large sucker minnows work pretty good. You can either thread the line through just under the main dorsal with a needle and then tie and set a trebble hook on it's head or just hook them in the lip. Put a nice big bobber on it with plenty of line for the sucker to swim around with, grab a beer and wait.

(This rig works well for Northern Pike as well)
[signature]
I agree with both replies but i have to add my .02. It is my experience, and watching others break the law here, but i think the forage fish of the particular body of water makes the best live bait. I have had better luck with pieces of perch than chubs or suckers. We can't use live bait in UT and the lake i fish tigers you can't use any bait larger than 1" in any dimension. We used to be able to use whole perch but that came to a screeching hault when many big tigers were found dead with treble hooks and whole perch attached to a piece of 6# or 8# test stuck in their throats. I did watch 2 guys for about 1/2 hour waiting for the CO to get there that caught 4 with a whole perch but they WERE using steele leaders. They got busted anyway. That would be my advice.
[signature]
I must agree with the last post. Use whatever you can find in the water your fishing (if live bait is allowed at all). To much crap is getting introduced to waters all over for anyone to risk adding to the problems.
[signature]
Great answer
[signature]