Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Newton
Hey guys...

I am goin to school up here at USU, and don't know much about the local lakes besides Hyrum. Are Cutler Reservoir and Newton Reservoir the same thing??? Very dumb question, I know... but I am a little Confused. And beyond that... do people ice fish either of these? I'd like to try something besides Hyrum this week.

thanks...
[signature]
No, they are two different lakes. Not many reports on Cutler but a few have come from Newton this winter. Newton has crappie, bass and tiger muskie, and I think it also has perch. Good luck if you go and let us know how you do. WH2
[signature]
I went to school up there too and found newton. I have fished it tons after that. that was back in 1987. its a great place to fish. perch, lm bass, crappies, musky, bluegill, catfish "there some big cats in there" and a few trout. give it a try. go down to al's sports and ask whats working up there. they are helpful most of the time.
[signature]
Welcome to Cache Valley! Newton is a great reservoir...but it's still on the rebound from being dried up many years in a row. I've ice fished it only twice this winter and a few buddies have fished it also. There is 11" of ice right now and just about anywhere along the dam and west side is great perch fishing. The perch are still small however because they haven't had much time to grow since being killed off. You will catch as many 5-6" perch as you want if you just fish an ice fly with a mealy or waxie. There are also bluegill, bass, musky, and a few catfish. Back around 1999-00 there were loads of big crappie but i haven't caught any out there since it drained. Never fished cutler in winter. If you're looking to stay close to cache valley i'd think about going to the idaho side, you can fish five rods and it's great trout fishing. 40 min drive to several reservoirs! PM me if you want some sweet info on idaho!
[signature]
That was the hardest post to read with your avatar so huge[Wink] I seen people there last year catching crapie but i have never targeted them
[signature]
Sorry[blush]i'm not a great computer person tryin to figure out the pic thing i think i got it fixed?[unsure]
[signature]
LOL its no big deal it was just hard to read
[signature]
Newton is a really great lake to fish if you want to catch a lot of fish. Not to much in there is really huge but with the sheer numbers it's a good place to take kids or just go when you want a sure shot at catching something. I go about once a week in the summer and last year I ice fished it quite a few times. I haven't been out on it this winter but I have a few friends who have and they all said the same thing, all the small perch you want. Cutler on the other hand has some big cats in it but actions isn't very fast anytime I've went. I do agree that if you want better size fish go across the border. It seems like Idaho has Utah beat with its fisheries.
[signature]
I grew up fising Newton; through the ice and open water. I would try the South East area along the rock shore. Good luck.
[signature]
Thanks guys, the info was fantastic.

I'm going to try Newton this week... maybe Idaho next week. I'll follow up with a report.

Thanks!
[signature]