Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
short cast
so ok, how the heck do you make a short cast? I use a 5wt 9ft rod with floating wf 5wt line. casting out to 40-50ft is no problem(cant see much further anyway) but I just cant get any accuracy 20 ft or less. just dont seem right to me[unsure][unsure]. Im sure its not a equipment problem unless my scatter brain is considered equipment.
any help would be wonderful.

thanks
pa

peace,life,liberty,and the pursuit of those who try to take it.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Just slow down, use less force. It also helps to use a double taper line, and a short leader.(about 6 feet)[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Practice a little, you should have more accuracy with a shorter cast.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Where I have problems is when I don't have enough line out to cast the line, and not just the leader.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I'm sure that everyone has their own feelings on how to short cast.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
If you're not already, you need to learn to roll cast. I was in the same position you're in. I have no problem casting a mile when I have all the back-casting room I need, but when you get in a tighter spot it becomes more difficult.

I'm sure there are some on here that can give you better instructions than I, but the idea is to lift up your line (straight up, not behind you) and roll it to the left or right. Obviously with some practice, you can learn to place them pretty well. Anyway, good luck and I hope that helps.[crazy]
[signature]
thanks .[Wink] I have been rollcasting. Been using a 9ft leader and 2ft of tippet. think I will try a 7ft leader and shorter tippet.

thanks
pa

pass it on
[signature]
Roll Cast for sure. The idea is to lift your rod straight up till the line drops just behind you, then with a little force point to the direction you want the fly to go. 20' or 30' is really effortless. Nymphing you have to start off a little faster to get the nymph to the surface. Dry fly, piece of cake. Just a flick of the wrist.
Just remember to stop the tip at about 10:00 out in front of you and let the fly drop soft, then drop the tip.
[signature]