Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where to launch
hey folks
I know it is early and this may be a stupid question, but where is the besst place to launch a pontoon at strawberry? I do not have a motor so how far out is to far? I just cant wait. The last thing I want to do is be stupid and spoil someones day. so thanks for the advice.[Tongue]

pa

pass it on
[signature]
[black][size 3]I can't give you the best place to launch your craft, but I can give you my favorite and why.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I like Renegade because there is less boat traffic, good fishing, and it's out of the major bay winds that effect the large part of the lake at mid-day.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]There are a variety of shorelines and water depts to fish in that area, and you will like the fact that most fishing areas are close by, eliminating the need for a long kick.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Many fish the area just north of Haws point. A fairly long kick will get you into the productive East Portal area.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The Ladders is an area that offers easy launch, but is usually a hot or cold fishery.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Hope that this helps.[/size]
[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
thanks saberfish. that was a big help. maybe we will see each other up there sometime. Thanks for the reply . pass it on[Smile]

pa
[signature]
I am going to say anywhere you can drive right down to the water. Fish will travel, so one day will be killer in one spot and suck the next, but the bays usually fish good.
Saber mentioned some great spots, I like the bay just past the Strawberry Marina. I think it is called East Portal Bay. There is an underwater stream there and the fishing is usually good.
As far as how far out....keep in mind how quick the weather changes up there, so be sure you can get back to shore. I do the best fishing in about 30' water level, but on the Soldier Creek side I do better at 50' to 60'.
Even if you don't use a motor, a sonar of some sorts is very helpful on Strawberry due to it's size.
[signature]
thanks goddess. will pick up a sonar soon. hope to see you on the water to. still guiding?

pa

pass it on[Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
Not as much (puppy thing) but yes.
[signature]
First thing in the morning, I like to put in at CCE at the waters edge on the East side.
I kick over to the West side and fish until the wind comes up at about 10:30am. I then use the wind to push me back over to the East side, where I'm parked.
This puts me back to the truck at lunch!
[signature]
Flygoddess,
How deep are you fishing on the Solider Creek side when you are in 50-60' of water? What type of line are you using? I seem to max out fishing a depth of 15-20' effectively.
[signature]
I go straight out from the ramp (to the right of the boats docked. I am all the way down with 300 grain depth charge or Type VII. I use the crayfish pattern with a nymph and nail them on the crayfish.
Generally anywhere on Strawberry or Soldier Creek, 30' seems to be the spot, even at ice off which is weird, I would think they were closer to shore.
[signature]