Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The magic stick!
I decided to take a break from the hard deck and try a little icy fly fishing. It was the best choice i have made in a while.[Smile]
I got to the weber about 2:30 and rigged my sons new christmas present fly rod([angelic]), a cute little youth 7' 6" 4/5 wt. I tied on a #14 hares ear and a #20 zebra midge. I also tied a small rapala on my spinning rod.
I threw the rap for about 10 minutes and decided to bag it and concentrate on the fly rod. I walked down river to one of my favorite holes and made about 40 casts without a hit. I know this hole is full of fish but couldn't figure this one out. I kept at it for another few minutes and somebody finally flipped the switch! Fish on for the next hour.[Smile] I caught 7 whitefish and 1 brown out of that hole with 5 or 6 longline releases. I moved down river about 100 yards and couldn't see anything worth my time. I headed back up towards the truck and settled into my other favorite hole.
First cast i caught a very nice rainbow. Second cast i caught a 19" cutt. 3rd cast yielded another cutt! I caught fish after fish in this hole and had 3 fish straighten the hook on the zebra midge.[shocked]
I ended up catching 11 fish out of that hole. All but 1 were trout. 4 cutts, 1 bow, 1 whitefish, and 5 browns. The river is in beautiful condition and the fish are hungry. I must have missed 20 strikes and lost 10 fish in the second hole. I will be back up there again soon.[cool]
Here are the pics i got before my camera died. Not the best but i was alone and had no net.
[signature]
Nice job. Only fished the Weeb once and didn't do well. Need to get back up there one of these days.If you are ever up for a tag along let me know. What size was the zebra midge and hares ear? What number of fish did you catch on each?

Schlitz-
[signature]
[size 1]"rod([angelic]), a cute little youth 7' 6" 4/5 wt. I tied on a #14 hares ear and a #20 zebra midge. I also"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]I caught 2 whities on the hares ear and the rest on the zebra midge.[/size] I will probably fish it again one evening this week. Let me know when you can get out.
[signature]
Thanks for the info and the invite. I'm free most evenings but live down in Provo so I would need to take off from work a few hours early. Let me know when you are planning on heading out again and I can make arrangements.

Schlitz-
[signature]
I fished it again today and caught 23 fish! 1 cutt, 1 brown and the rest whitefish. Let's do something next week one day.[Wink]
[signature]
Very nice. How does next Wednesday after-noonish sound?

Schlitz-
[signature]
Should be good.[cool]
[signature]
LH2 I like your style.
One of my favorite fly rods is a Saint Croix that I bought for my wife![Tongue]
She has even used it once or twice.
[signature]
Gage is only 4 but you saw him the other day trying to fly fish. He has a quiet obsession with it. Hopefully i can teach him without giving him my bad habits.[cool]
P.s. Had a blast tonight with my fly rod.[Wink]
[signature]
I taught my son to flyfish when he was 5 yo with a 7ft 2wt rod. He was a natural at casting telling me he didn't need any more help with the technique after a couple minutes. He was right but unfortunately he's not interested in tying his own knot now 5 years later. By the way I most frequently used a 7'6" 3 wt on the Weber until I broke it last fall by falling on it. Worked great for Utah's mostly small waters.
[signature]
I need to hit the weber up. What time of day were most of the fish hiting?
[signature]
Late afternoon both days.
[signature]
I sent you my phone #. Give me a call and we can get something going for next week.

Schlitz-
[signature]
Alright thanks
[signature]
Did your kid take the pictures??? Sounds like agreat day of fishing,how did your son do??
[signature]
He doesn't fish the rivers yet, he is too small. Next year, i am going to have a custom set of waders mad for him and no i took the pics with one hand.[Wink]
[signature]
Cabelas does sell youth waders down to size 3. My son who is fairly big for his age wore a pair with his shoes on from age 5-7, then without shoes until last year. The old waders are still in good condition and if you (or anybody else close to SLC) wants them for future use send me a pm, you can have them free. I think they are the 3 forks uninsulated with felt soles in size 3 if I recall correctly. [Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]