Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saltie Bass
Everybody knows that the first full moon in Feb. is the time to start fishing for spawning Bass. They like to come up and wiggle in the reeds and they get really stupid. Don't forget though, The Spotted Bay Bass in the local bays follow the same schedule. Yesterday I hit Newport Bay for a fantastic trip. It all began at my buddy Bobs' house at 36th street in Newport. After a six-beer meeting we launched our tubes on the out-going tide just down the street from his place. Drifting at a pretty good clip we threw Baby Bass colored Super Stretchys for thirty Bass in about four hours. All 'keeper' sized fish with a few Bay Groupers (18 inches and over) for good measure. Bob was fumbling with his phone when his rod jumped from between his legs, he snatched it mid-air and was tied to 'Big Lou'. Around and around he went as the fish switched directions and hugged the bottom. We figured Halibut or a Shovelnose Shark. A glimpse of the fish and Bob was saying White Seabass. As I kicked in to check out the fish, a huge Spotfin Croaker swam right under me. That was Bobs fish and he landed the jackpot fish of the day. We didn't weigh it or have a camera at the time but I figure around six pounds.Tough fish that looks much larger than it is because of a high arching profile. On the whole a great way to start my saltwater season.
Keeper Barricuda have invaded Dana Point Harbor but they are having a tough time landing them. I can't wait to try. I think we might hit Newport again before I leave for Denver. Maybe we all should hit Newport, plenty of fish and it's FREE.
[signature]
..its funny you posted this today.. not so much for the saltie part but the fact that the fishies are or may be starting to move a little more than before.. I am thinking.. I may have to go out to a local lake and do a little fly fishing over.. probably hit the reedy areas nearest the trout "holes".. may have to take my little fishing buddy with me.. [Image: fish-on.gif]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Nice job Bendo. It is just about that time for water sleigh rides.

I'm not sure when I'll be back in town long enough to take a day off to go fishing. ha ha.

Weez all been hittin the Red here in Lewziana.[cool]
[signature]
You can nab a few Bayass also
[signature]
We got a few of those too.

We hit Sam Rayburn Reservoir, Toledo Bend Res and Cross Lake.

Nice Bayass and nice Reds on the coast.[cool]
[signature]