Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubin @ Quail Lake
[green][size 2]I caught an 18" rainbow with no fins. Its had a hooked jaw and had a washedout color to him. The funny part was when I went to grab my forceps, and my fingers slid to far down and they were stuck on my thumb/forefinger. Ever try to not to drop a fish and rod while getting your fingers unstuck[blush]. [/size][/green]

[#008000][size 2] [#000080][size 5]Oh btw, I caught an 6 pound plus largemouth too!!![/size][/#000080][/size][/#008000]

[#000080][size 5] [green][size 2]It was the biggest bass-a-sarus I ever caught[cool]. Whoopie [Wink]. Did it all in my v-tube...[/size][/green][/size][/#000080]
[signature]
Way to go, tomegun!! There are definitely some HAWGS there in Quail Lake. I've only been there once and stuck a 7#, 6#, and a mess of 1-3#ers. Actually, it was about this time of the year that I went last year...spring break. Anywho, congrats again on the pig. How was the fight in the tube? [cool] Whenever I stick a 6+ in the tube, it seems like the first thing they always do to me is come right on up out of the water to say hi, and that's when I start having to talk myself down and be calm to make sure I land the thing...haha...
[signature]
[cool] Well, sounds like the trip was a success. Did you get a pic of your "B-Rex"? If not, I'll bet you got some dandy images in your mental hard drive. And, if you don't have any pics to show, that fish can keep growing over time, to become as big as you "remember" it.

What kind of craft did you end up getting? And, what is your evaluation of it, after a shakedown cruise? Still need more on-the-water testing? Heck, you have my permission to go whenever you want.

Oh yeah, how bad was the water level and the boating traffic?

About that rainbow. I'm betting you got one of those sneaky lizards that live around there. When it gets too warm and dry, they take up life in the water and evolve into ugly looking trout.

Hey, you handle the desert any way you can. I know. I live in Arizona. You oughtta see me casting "dry flies" (what else) for "sand trout" (lizards again). Pitching lizards for road runners can be fun too. Then, there's "drop shotting" for jackrabbits, off the bridges over the dry washes. Carrot Senkos have been working best, but Carolina rigged lettuce leaves are a good backup. Once you get a couple of good bunnies, you can strip off the skins and tie up some big "bunny jigs". These work great for coyotes. Gotta go to heavier tackle for those. Fast trolling out of a sand rail is a great way to get some bodacious strikes. Oh yeah, it's a good idea to use wire leaders too.

Sorry, got carried away there. The heat does that to ya.
[signature]
[#800000][size 2]Hey Pat, don't you speak american no more? [Wink]. I know it was a snakefish(seen many at Jordanelle). bunnies, jackrabbits, and pelts...I tried showing my niece/nephews some jackalopes but they're ain't fast enough or have poor eyesight.[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2] I've had my Griggs 6000 v-tube for about 3 years(well, the 1st one had a factory defect so this one is only 8 months old). [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2] Quail Lake-water temp 56 degrees, about half full. You could walk on solid ground under the south dam. Not much room to water ski, yet plenty of water to fish. [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]I didn't think about bringing a camera, just soul fishing baby. Give it another week and some stable weather, Quail could be smoking(a local told me this).[cool] [/size][/#800000]
[signature]