Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on Float Toons
So, I recently came into a couple hundred dollars unexpectedly and I'm lookin at toons now. Been looking on KSL.com for used toons and got to thinkin. I'll ask my new friends here about it. So what should I be looking for in a good used Float Toon? And if there's somebody here who has an extra they'd part with for a couple Benjamins, send me a message and we'll talk.[Wink]
[signature]
I have the Creek Company ODC Sport XL Pontoon . It suits me fine i dont need an expensive toon to get into fish. You can always pimp your toon to your fishing needs. I am sure there are going to be a lot of people here with input on toons. I am probably going to sell mine because now my son is finally into fishing and my daughter always goes with me on the boat and i cant leave them on shore and me on the water.[Tongue]
[signature]
I guess your talking a pontoon kickboat right?

I have a fishcat 9. It has a steel frame so it is a little heavier but that is one thing to look into is what kind of weight rating it has. I'm a big guy so I wanted a toon that would hold me and a motor and all my gear without any problem. The aluminum frames are much lighter but usually have less weight capacity. For some people who aren't......bulky.....maybe the weight thing won't really matter.

If you primarily plan on lake fishing a 7 or 8 foot is great. If you think you might like to try river fishing someday I would look for at least an 8 or 9 footer.

If you can find one that already has a motor mount on it that's a plus. They can run about $60 to buy one if you decide you want a motor on it someday. So that's something to consider.

If I see one on KSL the first thing I'll do is go find out how much they run brand new! I have seen some of them want as much as a brand new one. Like a 200 dollar toon they're selling for 195.[shocked][crazy]

Do some research and find out what features fit your needs and then go look at retail sites who have customer reviews to look at and see what people say about a brand or make. You'll then have a better idea what things to look for in an ad.

Brands are a matter of opinion I like fishcats and bucks bags but there are several good brands out there.

Some cheaper ones have cheap material all the way around the pontoon while better ones have a pvc coating on the bottom that will make it last longer. (You can usually tell by lookin if the bottom half of the pontoon is black) You will get scrapes just getting it in and out of the water and even more so floating down a river so that is something to look for.

These are just my opinions. I generally go a little overboard doing research before a purchase and should probably be on medication
[crazy][laugh][unsure][unimpressed].
[signature]